Ê âîïðîñàì î ñàìîðåàëèçàöèè

Îáúÿâëåíèå

Ôîðóì ïåðååõàë ----> https://selfrealization.info

Èíôîðìàöèÿ î ïîëüçîâàòåëå

Ïðèâåò, Ãîñòü! Âîéäèòå èëè çàðåãèñòðèðóéòåñü.

Âû çäåñü » Ê âîïðîñàì î ñàìîðåàëèçàöèè » Òåêñòû è âèäåî íà àíãëèéñêîì ÿçûêå » English texts. (òî, ÷åãî íåò â ïåðåâîäå íà ðóññêèé)

English texts. (òî, ÷åãî íåò â ïåðåâîäå íà ðóññêèé)

Ñîîáùåíèé 61 ñòðàíèöà 70 èç 79

M: Atman is prior to buddhi, and you understand buddhi and also that atman isprior to buddhi.V: I understand atman with buddhi; my buddhi tells me that there is atman. Iwant to understand atma-jnana. With bud- dhi-jnana came atma-jnana. I wantthe atma-jnana, not bud-dhi-jnana.M: There should be no confusion. Understand a simple fact and that is that anykind of experience can only come upon the consciousness that is there. And youare separate from both that consciousness and the experiences which come onthat consciousness.Unless there is consciousness, call it buddhi, mind or whatever, can anything bethere? The answer is obviously, no. Thus, in that consciousness I can see mybody and the world; and it is basically only on that consciousness that anymovement or experience can take place.V: So that consciousness has the power to think? Or to feel?M: On that consciousness, something happens. Whatever movement, thought, orexperience there is can occur only on this consciousness. And you are prior tothis conscious¬ness; therefore you are neither the consciousness—that is, theinstrument—nor any thought or experience, or whatever it is that is happeningon that instrument. You are totally apart from it. Now stick to that.V: Stick to what?M: To the fact that you are apart from it.V: And you are That. That I know. But oftentimes, one can¬not forget that one isin the body.M: Remember that this body is made of the five elements; it is a material body—Icall it food-body—and in that is this consciousness because of which the bodypossesses its sen¬tience, enabling the senses to function. For the senses in thebody operate only thanks to the consciousness. And you are separate from thisbody and the consciousness. That is the only thing to remember.All you have is the vital breath, the life force. And part of the prana is the atman.Other than that, what have you got? I keep coming back to the same thing.Other than that, there is absolutely nothing.[Maharaj is commenting on "X," who is having a lot of trou-bles. ] All thesedifficulties that come and go should be merely watched like something in a play.When one scene is finished, another scene takes place, going on like an act. Then, the entire act and the entire play, does it take place anywhere but inyourself? If she did not have this consciousness, would she be aware of this playthat is going on? So ultimately, whatever the play, whatever scenes and actsthat take place, they are merely movements in her own consciousness.

[The lady has been urging Maharaj to take care of him¬self.] Who is to take careof what? I know what has come upon my original state, and there is nothing totake care of that. It is a happening that has come and will take care of itself. Andwhatever has happened, I have not been affect¬ed. So, again, who is to takecare of what? I am not con¬cerned with taking care of anything. The world hasbeen in existence for millions of years. There have been thousands of avatarsand great men, and important personalities. Has a single one of them been ableto do anything to change the course of events in the world?Whatever has come upon this original state is time- bound, but the original stateis timeless and spaceless. And that is one whole, a Wholeness. Not really one,because if you say "one," there are immediately two.V: Is what Ramakrishna said and what Maharaj is saying the same thing?M: I have already told you, the basic essence is only whole. All these differencesare subsequent; they are to the con¬cepts. So basically, when in the Wholeness,how can there be sin or merit, or any kind of duality? There is something by which you are able to say that you understand. And youare separate from that. What you think you have understood is only a movementin your con¬sciousness. And you are separate from that consciousness. So as faras you are concerned, there is no question of understanding or notunderstanding.V: We always think when we have a mental grasp of some¬one's teaching thatipso facto we have realized that teaching. But we have not at all, we areessentially the same person, suffering in the same way.M: How did that original creation take place of the body as infant? And even priorto its birth: How did the conception happen? How did the infant come into being,without it asking for it? Understand that. Understand thoroughly that drop of stuff which eventually has developed into a body, and then you will understandthe whole mystery that you are not that. This body that is now occupying acertain space, how much space did it occupy upon its conception? And what wasit then? If you understand that, you will understand the mystery of the Self. You base yourself on the body that you are now, and don't understand its root. That is why we think we are this body. And for that, you must do meditation.What is medi¬tation? Meditation is not this body-mind meditating as anindividual, but it is this knowledge "I am," this conscious¬ness, meditating onitself. Then the consciousness will unfold its own beginning.Identification is with what? With this body that is now. But does it understand itsorigin? If you understand the temporal aspect, then you won't take so muchpride in the body that is now existing.[Maharaj is now talking about himself] The body is thoroughly old, my mission isfulfilled. Now you people come, which is all right, but my mission is done. My soulis about to leave this body. I am happy. I clap! [clapping his hands] I am in a

clapping mood that I am about to pass on. I am no longer in love with, or held by,anybody, anything, any attachment.Forgetfulness—that noble, most elevated forgetfulness— will not arrive until alldoubts have been dispelled. Unless the doubts are eradicated, that peace willnot prevail.So long as I remain identified with the body, I want to be occupied with actions,because I am not able to sustain that pure "I" without them. I cannot endure it,because I identify with the body-mind, with all kinds of activities. I call it jiva-atman, which means "conditioned by the body-mind," and is the self that isoccupied with all the activities. And the "I" which is unconditioned by, and notidentified with, the body-mind—that therefore has no form, design, or name—isparamatman. The jiva- atman is being witnessed by paramatman, which is yourreal Self only.V: What is it doing? Is it partaking in the working of the world?M: Paramatman need not participate in the activities of the world, but withoutthat principle no activities could take place at all. Just as is the case with akash(space): without it, no activities are possible.Activities are going on naturally, spontaneously, in the same way that there is noauthor or doer of your dream world. Nevertheless, you fully put to use yourdream world. You will not be able to comprehend this so long as you try tounderstand things as an individual. But once you are the universal manifestconsciousness and abide in that paramat¬man spirit—"I am" without form anddistinction—then you will realize how things are.V: It can be doubted whether Krishna was the incarnation of God into a humanbeing. If it is indeed so, however, then we must attach importance to what hetold us.M: Whatever Krishna stated is perfectly correct. For that moment, that particulartime in history, it was most appro-priate. But that moment, that time, has gone.He also has gone. The spiritual elevation happened in him; that is why he isgreat. You are seeing and understanding things through the concepts which you haveabsorbed. But, as a matter of fact, the actual state of affairs is quite different. You are holding on to it as the truth, but whatever you have heard will notremain as authority or as permanent; it will disappear. Then after thedisappearance of everything, whatever remains, that you are: neti-neti. You have been continuously changing; you are in a state of flux. No identity of yours has remained as a permanent feature. And in due course you will alsobecome very old. So is there any constancy in all this?V: The truth is that the body is perishable, but Atma is imperishable, eternal.

SECOND VISITOR: DO you know that or have you read it?

V: I am experiencing and also have read it. I am getting old and have seenpeople perish.M: Yet there must be some author authorizing all these activities. You take thegrosser four elements, which are engaged in activity. These four elements arepresided over by space. In what activity is that engaged? If you are going toinvestigate the world of your observation, you will never reach your destination.Unless you give up whatever you have heard and abide in yourSelf, you will notunderstand all this. You may take it upon yourself to investigate this entiremanifest world and whatever you have heard, but you will be caught more andmore in a quagmire.When incarnation takes place, what is its cause? And in what form does it occur? The stories you have heard...V: Why doesn't everybody become Krishna?M: What is that childhood? What is that child-principle? Investigate that. Thetouch of that quality, the child quality: understand and realize it. When did youencounter your¬self? Since when and how? After collecting all the messages andconcepts in the world, you cannot investigate yourself. When Krishna was born,he had that touch of "I-am-ness." The same goes for yourself. Understand that!What is that touch of "I-am-ness," that touch of child, in you? Since when did youknow that you are? And with what did you know that you are? If you try toemploy whatever you have heard, you will never be able to understand this. Youknow that you were not, but now you know that you are. How did this happen,this confluence? You were not and suddenly you are. This is what we want todiscover.V: I think I will give up on all this.M: You just find out and enquire about your own self. Since when did you cometo know your self? And how? Did any¬body tell you that you are? Or did youcome to know your¬self spontaneously?V: I was told and also it kept occurring to me when I read Ramana Maharshi'squestions, "Who is it that dreams, who is it that sleeps?"M: Give up your body identity. Since when did you start knowing yourself?Concentrate on that only.V: Who is the one who slept?M: Give up that question, because it is not relevant. There is no value in yourquestion. At the moment I do not want you to ask any questions. I am drivingyou to the source and would be satisfied with your knowing what you are. I wantto find out from you with what it is you know you are. Confine yourself to thisarea. Focus only on your knowing that "you are." How do you know you are? Justbe there. You have been shadow-boxing with the many concepts you havecollected from the world—you are fighting with all that. What is the use of it?

You know you are. How do you know it? And with what did you know it? This isthe sum total of my teaching need¬ed to put you on the right track, its veryquintessence.When all your questions are answered, my talks are very easy to understand.And when you understand, all your questions have gone. It is a vicious circle: Solong as you have questions, you cannot follow what is being said.V: What happens is that certain questions keep cropping up.M: I am going for the basic questions only: What are you? Since when are you?How did you happen to be? And due to what are you? I don't want to deal with alot of sundry ques¬tions; they are of no value to me. If you like my teachings,you may sit here; otherwise, by all means quit this place.In any true spiritual search, whatever you have heard, whatever you have done,is of no use at all to arrive at the real truth. The knowledge "you are" hashappened. Due to what?First of all, you witness that you are. Stay put there only, with this "you are." Justbe there. Then with the help of this "you are," you are witnessing the world. If you are not witnessing "you are," you will not be witnessing the world either.When you do not know you are, people also will not know that you are and theywill cremate you. So long as you know you are, people will respect you, as youare some¬thing. When you do not know you are, people will dispose of you. Stayput there. You must be present there only, at this point—the "you are" point,bereft of all concepts, all hearsay. When you recognize and realize theknowledge that you are, you will also know what Krishna is. Any num¬ber of incarnations have come and gone. But when you understand yourself, you willrealize all the incarnations.Because you know you are, you know the world is. You also know that God is. If you don't know you are, where is the world and where is the God? There have been so many incarnations, and now you know you are. That "youare" is the divine principle because of which all the incarnations were. Manypeople have come here, but rarely has anybody, after listening to me, comecloser to himself; rarely anyone will understand what I am driving at. But thatrare person, in the process of under¬standing me, will come closer to himself,the one who lis¬tens. Those who really understand will abide in themselves. You did not know your parents before your birth, nor did the parents know you.In spite of this, how did the knowledge "you are" sprout in that particularsituation? What is this amazing thing? I am again putting the same question. Theparents did not know the child, and the child also did not know his parents beforehis birth. Now the child says, Here I am. How is that? This itself is the greatest miracle, that I got the news "I am." Have you any doubts that you are?   ..................

V: No.M: You must have that full conviction, whatever you may have said. That is thetruth and that is "I am." There are no techniques, except the technique that I am—the firm con¬viction that "I am" means "I am" only, abidance in "I."V: I am trying to do that, and I think everyone here present is trying to do thesame.M: When a guru is really a jnani—that is, one who has realized himself—youshould abide in him. When such a guru guides or directs a disciple, no spiritualtechnique is neces¬sary. There was a time when Arjuna also was not doing anyspiritual practice. All the armies were in the battle area, and the horses wereready to rush at the enemy. What time was available for Arjuna to practice? He just listened and accept¬ed whatever Krishna told him, and that was all heneeded to get realization. Arjuna reached the goal through his right atti¬tudeand because his guru, Krishna, was realized.Don't practice this thing, only develop your conviction.How long do you do this type of meditation? Until you stabilize in the conviction:I am the knowledge "I am." At that stage your individuality is completelyextinguished; you no longer have a personality. And "you" denotes themani¬fested. In place of the lost individuality has come the mani¬fest totality.For a realized sage, there is no question of going into samadhi and descendingfrom samadhi. So long as the so- called sage does not abide in that stage, in thatSelfhood, until then he has to practice going into samadhi and coming down fromsamadhi.V: By sage, you mean the individual?M: A seeker. Normally the word sadhaka is used here, and also mumukshi.Mumukshi is a lower stage and means "inclined to spirituality." Sadhaka meansone who thinks he is not "body-mind" but the manifest only.6/7 July 19806.WHATEVER YOUCAN FORGETCANNOT BE THE ETERNALISITOR: IS it possible to tell me what to do step by step to come closer torealization?MMASTER:;; Why does one have to do any practice and for what purpose?V: Is no practice to be done then?

M: You remain confused so long as you are identified with your body. Even yourquestion what is to be done is only from the point of view of your associationwith the body. As an individual, concerned with the body, what am I to do?— thatreally is your question. So long as you remain identi¬fied with the body, yourconfusion will continue.V: Yes, intellectually it is clear. But when a realized person says that everybodyis realized already, it would mean I am realized but I don't feel like it.M: The person who says "I don't feel like it" is again identi¬fied with the body.V: So I am unable to express whatever I feel.M: Is it not something which is there and which you use? Without thisconsciousness you would not be able to think or do anything. So that which youare using is already there. There is no other practice to be done, except to understand (that is, tellingyourself with conviction) that it is this knowledge that you are which is itself theknowledge, and not the way you are using this knowl¬edge at the individuallevel. So the knowledge itself is the one that exists and must remain pure in andas that knowledge; and you must remain apart from it. That knowledge that youare has mistakenly identified itself with the body and so you are thinking of yourself as the body. But you are the "knowledge." Strengthen your convictionthat you are the knowledge, this beingness, and not the body.V: How can one do so?M: By meditation, like dhyana. And dhyana means the knowledge must remain inmeditation with the knowledge. Now, what is meditation? Meditation is theknowledge "I am" remaining in that knowledge. There is the waking state and the sleep state, and the knowledge that you are. Iexist, I know that I exist. Other than that, what capital does anyone have thanmerely this knowledge "I am"?V: I see it as being important because everything else is changing.M: What can you base your questions on? The only thing that you have is theknowledge that you exist. Other than that, what knowledge do you have?V: No knowledge, no other knowledge.M: Therefore, be in that. And don't presume that you are someone to act. That isall you can do at this stage, and remain in that. All questions really come viayour mind and the body, from which you have to be separate. This is the totalmessage; remain in that. If you can accept this mes¬sage, you may come herebecause you will repeatedly hear the same thing. But if it is not acceptable toyou, then don't waste your time.

In the spiritual line, what work have you done? Have you read anything, doneanything? Been anywhere?V: Yes, in 1960 I became interested. At that time, I met Swami Menon[presumably, the visitor is referring to Sri Krishna Menon, also known as SriAtmananda] and went to his lectures. I go to Ramanashram frequently, becausethere Maharaj's book was given to me by Sri Ganesan.M: You read Ramana Maharshi? And both volumes of I Am That?V: All the time. Ramana Maharshi's books and Maharaj's.M: What has been said in Ramana Maharshi's books and what has been said inMaharaj's books—does it tally?V: Absolutely. Ramana Maharshi is somewhat distant and gets you a little scared.Maharaj is tweaking your nose and talking, and easier to absorb.M: You have a clear picture then of your true nature, of what you are?V: In words, yes.M: Even if you accept it in words, that is already a lot. Who is it that accepts whathas been said in the words? Now that which accepts what has been said in thewords, is that prin¬ciple not separate from the words?V: I am still a person with a memory. I hope to progress beyond that.M: What makes you consider yourself as a person? Your identification with thebody. Will this individual personality last? It will remain only so long as theidentification with the body remains. But once there is a firm conviction that youare not the body, then that individuality is lost. It is the simplest thing, as soonas you have this conviction that you are not the body, then automatically,instantaneously, you become the total manifest. As soon as you leave yourindi¬viduality, you become the manifest totality. But your true being is apartfrom even that which is totally manifest. And you assume this individuality withinthat total manifest so long as you are identified with the body.When there is no individuality, what will you consider to be the one whomeditates and the meditation? When this individuality is not there, whomeditates and on what? People talk very freely of "meditation," but what do theyreally do? They use their consciousness to concentrate on something. Dhyana iswhen this knowledge, this consciousness that I am, meditates on itself and noton something other than itself.V: On itself...M: Knowledge has no form in any case.V: So that is when the "I am" turns in on itself, it again gets qualified with form because that is the way I am to myself now.    ...................

This lady here usually tells her husband what she has heard at these talks. Buttoday this is going to be very diffi¬cult for her. Because this knowledge isbeyond words. How can you put this into words?Normally the thought flow is continuous, always there. How much of that thoughtflow is useful to you? Of all these thoughts, take only those that are useful toyou. Sometimes, I command thoughts to get out: "I don't want to have anythingto do with you." Fewer than one in a thou¬sand people will ever wonder what isthe use of all these thoughts that are just flowing.V: Very few stop to think about thinking.M: When thought has no customers, thought vanishes; there is no thought.V: Yet, when he is teaching us, the thoughts are so clear and well defined. It is aparadox.M: I have no faith in any religion, including Hinduism.When you first come here, just listen to what is going on, try to understand it.Even if questions arise, don't ask them for the time being—just listen. For now Iwill be talk¬ing about that power which looks like an individual but because of whose presence the world is carrying on its busi¬ness. It may not be easilycomprehensible, but I can't be bothered to go into much detail and explaineverything at this stage. So try to understand as much as you can; other¬wise,let it go.I am talking about this power which is in the body, but which is the root of theexistence and maintenance of the entire universe. What there is in my body, is ineveryone else's body also. But everyone else is concerned more about this"corpse" that he is living with rather than that which lies within that corpse.Whatever upheavals occur in the world, they are movements in that power, for itis that which makes the world go around. And whatever events take place aremovements in that consciousness. Because we associate our¬selves with theevents, there is unhappiness. I see things from a different standpoint, from thepoint of view of the Absolute. So what is your query?V: Well, it is just the impersonality of this power, and how nobody seems to haveany capacity to control or manipulate it. Most us in the West think we canthough, which is the biggest part of the illusion. And sometimes, things seem togo one's way, but at other times they seem to go very much against what youbelieve to be right and proper.M: Whatever is happening is bound to happen. There is a series of events; ascenario is written down. So according to that scenario, things happen. If we areidentified with all sorts of things, we have certain hopes and aspirations; and if things turn out accordingly, we are happy. If the things that happen are notaccording to our wishes, we are unhap¬py. So we will continue to be happy andunhappy in an end¬less cycle, so long as we persist in this attitude. However,the moment we see things in proper perspective—that all we can do is to see

that witnessing happens, and that what¬ever happens is independent of ourthoughts—then there is a different state. There is no volition as far as anindividual is concerned; things happen on their own. When that is seen, there isalready a certain peace of mind.Whatever people complain about, the five elements are not bothered. So whyshould what happens in the five ele¬ments bother the individual? If the fiveelements themselves are not bothered by what people think and what they do ornot do, how is this source of those elements, upon which they depend,concerned? Why would it be concerned?Some time ago, I had suggested to you to read the Gita from the standpoint of Lord Krishna, not from that of Arju¬na. Now even when doing that, you mustunderstand what I meant by Lord Krishna. I did not mean Lord Krishna as anindividual personality. I meant by Lord Krishna that speck of consciousnesswithin you that I am, that "I-am-ness." That is Lord Krishna, this "I-am-ness," andyou should read the book from that viewpoint. As far as anybody is con¬cerned,could there be the world, could there be God, could there be anything at all inthe absence of that Krishna con¬sciousness?As Prescribed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj • 97 V: No, I don't believe so.M: The moment this is clearly understood, that is it. There is nothing further tobe done. And whatever people contin¬ue to do or think they are doing, they arepurely a concept based on a certain image they have of themselves. And oncethey act according to that image, they will be susceptible to all kinds of unhappiness. Whatever happens is a mere movement in that consciousness.Once this is understood, nothing remains to be done: there is nothing you can orneed to do.V: There remains a kind of paradox in the sense that when one embarks on aconsideration of the spiritual life, certain decisions have to be made to minimize,or at least econo¬mize, one's worldly activities so that one may have more timeavailable for such consideration. There is also some sense of urgency involved inthis, probably still because of the illusion of being this person. But if in theenlightened state there is simply this posture of passive witnessing, how is it thatthese decisions get made and how is it that they are carried through?M: Only this concept that you have about yourself, that is what decides. Whetherhe be a big man, an important man, or a small man, whatever he decides, orthinks he decides, it is purely a concept. That is, the individual as an objectthinks he can decide, but in fact no object can decide. If he does not understand,then the whole thing is conceptual. It is to be understood that the body-mindcomplex is merely an object, a phenomenon; and no phenomenon can act. Sothe concept is very much involved in your body-mind complex. You will never be able to grasp your true nature; for this, the center of perceptionmust change. If that center of perception is a phenomenon, then whichever wayyou look, that looking is still from the center of the phenomenon. So unless that

center of perceiving itself is changed to the Noumenon, you will never get anidea of your true nature.Who has decided that I am the body? Purely a concept. This concept is, of course, on the level of the mind. So it is only a concept that I am the body. And itis equally a con¬cept that whatever action takes place, it is done by this body;that is, there has been an "objectivization," a concept that I am this object, thebody. From then on, it is the con¬cept that whatever the body does, is my doing.But once this concept is understood—that is, once the object is known as anobject, the false as the false—then you take the standpoint of the subject. Onceyou take that standpoint, the object disappears. And you view whatever takesplace as a happening in the condition, and you are not concerned with it; you aremerely viewing it. That I am the body and an individual personality means I am time-bound. Thereis a measure of time. That same concept which has taken to saying I am thebody, will say, I am born and will die. Who says, I will die? Only the con¬cept.Once you are away from the concept, the subject has no time in it. There is nospace-time concept as far as the subject is concerned.I repeat, not only is it this concept that says "I am the body," but it is alsoconscious of the fact that it is time- bound; thus, it says, I will die. But the onewho knows the concept is not time-bound; he is quite apart from the con¬cept. The body dies. This means what? It means only the thought "I am," that concept,has disappeared. Nothing has happened to the knower of the whole happening.One who knows that this is a concept and that the con¬cept will disappear, doesnot have the experience of either the birth, the happiness or unhappiness, or thedeath.V: Maharaj was saying that we are all subject to this power, and we can donothing over and against this power; it is really just a concept in our mind, and itnever works out. Well, in a sense, from the standpoint that we come to him, thearising of enlightenment in an individual would seem to be quite apart from anyvolitional activity.M: The whole object of the spiritual search or quest—there is no quest really, butwe just use that word here for the sake of communication—is to understand theconcept as a concept, the false as the false. There is nothing to be acquired. That I am God or that I am Christ, Allah, Muhammad, or whatever it is, is stillbased on the concept "I am." Because, unless that concept is reneged, all thatyou build on it will still be an illusion. So ultimately, only when this "I-am-ness"itself disappears, will you be free of the concept. So long as the basic concept "Iam" is there, the conceptual element cannot disappear. It is the concept itself that has given vari¬ous names to itself, but it is still the same concept."Without this basic concept "I am," where is the world, God, where is Ishwara,Christ, Allah, anyone? Before this concept of "I am" came on you, were you happy or unhappy? Was there even any feeling of happiness or unhappi- ness?Any of the dualities?

V: I don't know.M: I had no experience of happiness or unhappiness because this concept "I am"was not there.V: Nor was there any awareness of that fact.M: Whatever conceivable thing or feeling, or thought, it can come only whenthere is this basic "I-am-ness." The basic "I-am-ness" itself was not there. So,who was to know, who was to be aware? The very feeling of existence was notthere. That I am, that I exist, the feeling, the con¬cept itself was not there, sowho was to have any feeling? Who was to have any awareness, who was to haveany con¬sciousness?If I am a yogi, a king, or whatever, this consciousness that I am, this "I-am-ness,"imagination, mind, call it what you like, is only this concept. Before this conceptarose, was there anything? There was nothing. There was not even anyhappiness or unhappiness: the perfect state.V: I think the other thing that was absent and gives rise to so may of ourquestions is the sense of time. For example, why was I not aware in the past? If there is some understanding, there is no past.M: Exactly. When one talks of consciousness, one is likely to think in terms of anindividual. But understand that it is not really the individual that hasconsciousness, but it is the con-sciousness that assumes innumerable forms.I keep repeating that the average person will not under-stand this. Why?Because it is too simple! To grasp, one wants something, some form, someshape. That "something" is born, and is going to die or disappear is allimagination, all an illusion—nothing is born. It is the child born of a barrenwoman. Who calls it that? Even that is a concept. Because in the absence of thebasic concept "I am," there is no thought, no awareness, no consciousness of one's existence. [To one of the visitors in particular] What about that actor friendof yours? Will he reach the state of absorbing what has been said now?V: [To the interpreter] Tell him, he is at home licking his wounds. Another feelingor idea I just wanted to put to Maharaj, while on the subject of concepts,especially this fundamental concept "I am," is that we tend to confuse it with allthe crude, ill-formed thoughts that...but in a sense this concept is like the mostsubtle activity right at the very touchstone of consciousness; you can miss itsfundamental nature if you just consider it in the way that we ordinarily use theword "concept."M: One in ten million will grasp the subtle part of the whole thing.    ..................................

V: There was nothing.M: The paramatman was there, the highest Self, the core of the Self. This identityis without any stigma. Even the sky cannot touch it. The space cannot touch it. Itis subtler than space. It is just like sun rays or moonbeams: they do not get dirtyin dirty waters. If such is their purity, what would be the purity of the Self,consciousness?Understand this first moment, when we understood "we are"—the first momentof the body, when it understood "it is." Recognize that very first moment. Onceyou grasp this, then you are the highest of the gods, the point at whicheverything arises. At that very point, everything also sets: the source and theend are the same point. So once you understand this, you are released from thatpoint. Nobody tries to understand this happening of the self, the happen¬ing of this "I-am-ness." Once it is understood, I, the Absolute, am not this "I-am-ness."What did you understand?V: That when the practice of dwelling in this "I-am-ness" reaches its fullness,there is no longer any containment by that sense of being a separate individualas indicated by the words "I-am-ness." That is how I understand it. But I may bewrong.M: The only way we can express it is through words, there is no other way. This "I-am-ness," the quintessence, the sattva, parashak- ti, is not "I." That "I-am-ness," the feeling of "I am," is the quintessence of everything. But I, theAbsolute, am not that. That "I-am-ness" is the highest knowledge. And this issurrendered here by the abidance in the action.I: A duplicate of him, who talks like this, you will not find anywhere else.M: [Addressing one American visitor] Would you be inspired to put this intowriting, these teachings?V: Yes, I would.M: Every creature in the Universe prays to that principle which he considers hisGod or whatever, but all this can only happen from the time the life force hasawakened until the time that the life force is no longer working.In the practice of meditation, this life force gets puri- fled, and then the light of the atman shines forth. However, the working principle is still the life force.When this puri¬fied life force and the light of the Self merge into each other,then the concept, imagination, or mind, everything, is held in abeyance.When anyone tells you to do some sadhana, with what can you do sadhana of any kind? It can only be this life force. The only instrument one has to dosadhana with is the life force. This life force, instead of viewing it merely as aninstrument, has to be treated—mentally accepted— as the highest principle inthe world: that is, God, para- matman, Ishwara, or whatever you want to call it.

So that when this life force is pleased, it gets purified and merges with the lightof the atman.What is creation? Whatever has been created, is it the creation of God or is it thecreation of this life force? By practicing meditation, diligently and continuously,this life force gets purified to such an extent that it attains divinity. Dounderstand that this life force is God, and God is the life force, and be one withit.Now when this life force and the highest principle become one in yourmeditation, then whatever is reached by this merger, signifies the moksha orawakening, libera¬tion, call it whatever you like. So what is moksha?Subjec¬tion to the gunas and all the other upadhis (the conditioning,obstruction) connected with the individual, all that disappears. That is liberation. This life force is the act¬ing principle; and that which gives sentience to theperson is the consciousness.V: This is the traditional imagery of Shiva and Shakti .M: Shiva is that speck of consciousness; and the working principle is the lifeforce, the shakti.People only go by the various names that have been thrown up and forget thebasic principle. The principle is that within the body, consciousness and theprana or life force together are atman. I call it antahkarana, "psyche."It is said that somebody is dead. So what has happened? The life force has goneand the principle behind the life force—that is, this consciousness—has alsodisappeared. That is all that has happened. I have been explaining the principle,analyzing it, for all these years. But from now on, I haven't either the energy orthe inclination to explain all this again, so I can only say what is to be done, if anything. And the only thing is that nothing is to be done as is gener¬allyunderstood by the word "do," but merely to sit in con¬templation and let theconsciousness unfold itself, unfold the knowledge about itself. You have done a certain amount of homework; that is why I am still explainingwhatever needs further clarifica¬tion. So far, what most people do is theyexplain only the surface position. You are to do dhyana or meditation, and in thatmeditation itself the consciousness will unfold whatev¬er knowledge is to berevealed. But people generally don't go to the root of the matter and explain theprinciple, which is what I have been doing all these years. But now, I will alsostop doing this for other reasons. The Gita is a song, sung by Lord Krishna. What is it you want to ask about it?V: I don't have a lot of questions about the Gita. It seems that it epitomizes someof the things that Maharaj has been saying to me very graciously over the pastfew days. I just wanted to hear his comments on that.M: What meaning did you gather? What have you under¬stood?

V: I feel that when dhyana is done properly in the way we are instructed, the firstthing that becomes apparent is that this consciousness which is usually spread ina thousand different directions by our daily activities starts to get a greatersense of itself and then witnesses what arises. At the same time, the body'senergy as a consequence becomes intensified too, and it seems to be polarizedin a vertical dimension. I can't explain it any better than that. The other thingthat happens seems to be part of the purification and what he was talking aboutwas that we often...M: I am talking about the meaning of the words, first as you have understoodthem, not what is happening. Happen¬ing would be an experience.V: Well, that is what I have said; that is what I understand by the meaning. I alsofeel that many of the Upanishads and the Gita talk about the heart as the seat of the soul or where the soul enters this body; and beingness as some¬thing that isprior to this whole vertical dimension in which the life force moves. And even thelife force gets eventually resolved in the center. It is like Maharaj's description of consciousness as a tiny seed and in that seed not only our body-being, but theworld which we perceive, even the whole universe, has its seat. When dhyana isdirected, the tendency of consciousness is reversed into the center; then thatknowledge becomes resolved, the life force becomes purified, and is once againre-absorbed in that center, and you are free of that tendency to play into theworld all the time.M: This consciousness and the life force, when they merge they tend to becomesteady in the Brahmananda. And then all thoughts cease, even the thought thatyou are sitting in meditation. And that is the start of the samadhi. That state willremain for a while and discontinue again, whatever the reason. And then normalbehavior in the world will start. That is, the life force will start its normal work oractivities.Now I am asking: This disease that I am said to suffer from, to what has thisillness come? It has come to this con¬sciousness and the working principle—thatis, the life force. These two are concerned with that illness. And I, being apartfrom it, am not concerned with the illness. But it is one's duty to keep that lifeforce in reasonably good work¬ing order. That is why the medicine was taken inthe same way that the food is normally taken, so as to keep this con¬sciousnessand the life force in proper working condition.So medicine is much like food. But as far as I am con¬cerned, I don't really carewhether this life principle and the consciousness work or not, because I amtotally apart from it, beyond it and tired of it. The life force and thecon¬sciousness are not really two; as a concept they are treated as such butthey are really one. As soon as a form is creat¬ed, the life force is infused in thatform and sentience is automatically present. There is a physical form and the lifeforce, and in the absence of the consciousness there would only be a technicallyalive body. But merely that life force within the body—what is the use of it? It islike gas coming out of one's innards. No, it has no meaning, no function, unlessconsciousness is also present. So it is this conscious¬ness which gives this life

force, which would otherwise be merely air, the potency to create a sentient being.People write to me, thanking me for my guidance and they say they nowunderstand that although physically they and me are separate, we are actuallyone. All that, however, is still superficial knowledge which has been obtained bythe consciousness upon its realization that it is not the body. But it is only at thatstage that the knowledge has remained—on the level of words. They have notreally gone beyond.     ............................

M: For meditation, you should sit with identification with the knowledge "I am"only and have confirmed to yourself that you are not the body. You must dwellonly in that knowledge "I am"—not merely the words "I am." The design of bodydoes not signify your identification. And also, the name which is given to you orto the body is not your cor¬rect identity. The name which is imposed on you, orthe name which you have heard about you—you have accepted that name asyourself. Similarly, since you have seen your body, you think you are the body.So you have to give up both these identities. And the indwelling knowledge thatyou are, without words, that itself you are. In that identity, you must stabilizeyourself. And then, whatever doubts you have, will be cleared by that veryknowledge, and everything will be opened up in you. The indwelling principle "you are" without words, let us call it atman, the self. You are that self, and you are not the body. With that conviction, you mustmeditate, that I am that self only. The self or the atman sheds the body, whichevent we normally call "death." But to the self there is no death.I repeat: The atman discards the body. It is the body's death, but the self or theatman does not die. But if one says, I am the body, then surely he is going tohave death.Who understands with the help of intelligence, hold on to that "who," not theintelligence. Catch that. Be that.V: My question is, is there a useful way for arriving at mok- sha and are thereparticular signs for distinguishing which paths are the best for us?M: You just listen to all this, whatever is being said here; follow that, abide in thatand he that. Don't ask me about other paths. The path I am expounding, youlisten to that, and abide in it.As Prescribed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj • 139 V: How are we supposed tocome to know this?M: Can you not listen to the talk, can you hear it? So as you hear it, you be that.As I said earlier, time is moving fast. Can you stop all your questions? You startedvery well; you asked very rele¬vant questions.V: I am interested especially in practice, how to start it.M: Forget all about physical disciplines in this connection. I am telling you thatthe indwelling principle "I am," the knowledge that you are, you have to be that. Just be that.With that knowledge "I am," hold on to the knowledge "I»am.

V: It is difficult to abandon attachment to action; even in this way it is not easyalways to remember "I am," the truth of the atman.M: You know you are sitting here; you know you are, do you require any specialeffort to hold on to that "you are"? You know you are; abide only in that. The "Iam" principle without words, that itself is the God of all Ishwaras.V: Is devotion not useful as an initial step?M: First step or second step, I have the first and final step at the same time! Theknowledge "I am," without words, itself is the Ishwara. He, Ishwara, does notwant another (Maya) agent or intermediary. Direct.V: The problem we are falling into is weakness of mind sometimes. This dims theawareness.M: Who falls a prey to the weakness of the mind? You are talk¬ing from the bodyidentification point of view. The real "you" is not the body. It cannot be cut topieces by any weapon.V: It is always the false identification.M: If you identify yourself as the body, such an identity must be let go of,sacrificed. Your real identity has no body and no thought. And that self, thespontaneous knowledge "I am," you are. Since the self is not the body, the self isneither male nor female. Thus, to understand correctly, you must be bodiless. You must be bereft of thebody sense. It is no use trying to understand from the identity of body. You mustfulfill this vow, that you are not the body but solely that indwelling principle "Iam."V: So in staying with that principle, there is no effort involved?M: What do you mean by "effort"? And what would you like to have, to achieve?V: I am still trying to be "I am."M: You know that only, where is the question of any more effort? Effortlessly, youare that. Only you must stand for it with conviction.V: Effort then is only concerned with the sense of body consciousness? Becauseone is still clinging to a body. It is kind of a trap. Why can't one really be in thestate of "I am"? Because there is still some clinging and one wants to be freefrom that clinging.M: You need not try to get yourself detached from the bodily sense. Once youabide in this, that you are the indwelling principle only and you are not the body—that is enough. When you have developed this firm conviction, where is thequestion of trying to get detached from the body identity? [One of Maharaj'sclosest devotees, and also a relative of his, died a month back. So he gave thefollowing example.] That Mr. H. is no more. Now I know he is not. Similarly, you

must have the conviction "I am not the body." Such type of conviction you musthave, that I am not the body-mind, but only that knowledge "I am." If it clicks, itwill click instant¬ly. You see, I am not attached to any of you. Why I feel likethat? Because I don't feel anything about my own self, and neither am Iinterested in this consciousness. Suppose that it quits. I am not the leastconcerned, because I am not that consciousness—a step beyond what I amtelling you to fol¬low. First of all, we are to abide in consciousness; that is thefirst step. Then I am not that consciousness either. And, this way of understanding should be shared in toto by everybody else. Even to say"understanding," is not the cor¬rect word—to abide in the truth. The way I do,the same applies to everyone else. There is a couplet that states the real sage instantly transforms any devotee intohimself, his true Self. The jnani—and he is at that highest stage—is stabilized inthe destination, in the terminus. He is already in his destina¬tion. And becausehe is firmly stabilized in the destination, there is no movement for him.We normally talk about various paths; paths are indica¬tive of movement. I donot accept paths. You are in the des¬tination itself. That is my teaching.V: Yet, at other times Maharaj has admitted that there is dis-cipline involved. Hesaid that in I Am That, for beginners.M: This also must be clearly understood that you are not a male nor a female. If at all you are going to say you are a male or a female, that means you are tryingto understand yourself as body. This happening is like an accident. Sup¬posethere is an accident and one limb is gone. You know the limb is gone; that is abodily expression. Similarly, to call yourself a male or a female, is a bodilyexpression; that is, with reference to body—identification with the body.With firm conviction, you abide in this knowledge "I am" only: bereft of body-mind sense, only "I am." If you dwell therein, if you be that only, in due course itwill get mature. And it will reveal to you all the knowledge. And you need not goto anybody else.V: Since I have been with Maharaj, this week and a half past, and through thisvery statement that he has just made, it has become very clear to me that it isthe sadhana that matters, not the gathering of concepts that mean nothing atall. They don't change anything, they don't serve your liberation in any way. They are just garbage. The only thing, I feel, you have to follow your profession;that is, what your body is destined to do. Meaning can happen there. Ever since IAm That came into my life, that is the only teacher I have ever gone to. Until Iwas blessed with this opportunity to be in Maharaj's compa¬ny. And I don'tintend to go anywhere else.M: Whatever you have said, I agree with; but why is it like that? It is because theSelf cannot have an image. You can¬not say I am like this.

V: Beyond any verbal formulation.

M: It cannot be consumed by the senses or the mind.V: Maharaj said previously that it is not a question of cleaning the mind, but onlyof abiding in the process that is "I am That." In the very moment, for example,that I feel a preoccupation with my work, my art, my son or with something, inthat very moment that preoccupation or that joy or that sorrow is disturbing myconsciousness, I am That. Even if I know I am That. This preoccupation is thesensation that I feel.M: Your consciousness is getting disturbed in you. Don't drag on, tell itsuccinctly. But you as consciousness should not get disturbed, because it cannotbe touched by any con¬clusion outside. Because that conclusion is notconscious¬ness. Let us suppose you have got a big bank balance, andsomething happens elsewhere. Your balance is not suddenly in debt, is it?Similarly, your consciousness cannot be dis¬turbed by any disturbances.    ...................

V: The presence of the animating force that this vital breath represents to us, thetime I most observe its action is when I am doing what Maharaj tells me. In thatsense of "I am" one feels all sorts of things happening in the body that are notnormally noticed. I am not sure if that is what he is asking.M: I am asking whether you are observing consciousness also? You say you arein a position to observe the vital breath and its actions through the body, thebodily activities.V: I feel it can't be observed, the consciousness...M: Can you observe consciousness also? How do you know that you are? Theconsciousness knows, the body does not know.V: I think consciousness gets used in many different ways. To me consciousnessis awareness itself. I know you use it (the word) in a different, more specificsense, but this is the way it is for me...No, I don't feel consciousness is like athing you can observe; I think this type of definition of "I- am-ness" is a "gift" youwant to know.M: Do you observe consciousness, do you observe "I-am- ness"?V: "I-am-ness," yes, sometimes.M: For many hours you are witnessing the consciousness, that "I-am-ness." Whatthis means is that you know that you are, that is all. Witnessing means just that.Since you know you are, you know all other things. First, the know- ingnessknows itself, knowing that "I am." And in the illumi¬nation by that "I-am-ness,"or that consciousness, everything else is observed. I have had to repeat thesame lesson again and again, and I do not want to run kinder¬garten classes of spirituality.INTERPRETER: People go to visit and just have a look at sages; they are notinterested in getting any knowledge, especially not this kind of profound spiritualknowledge. So Maharaj is saying since most of our people are like that, you can just tell them you have seen me and you better go now. He will not presentlyinvite any newcomers. Previously, out of sheer exuberance, he used to invitepeople and say, come on, you receive this. Those days are gone.He is in the state now in which there is no question of a god and a devotee, a jnani and people wanting to listen to him. That difference is already gone. Sowhy should he bother about anything? From his standpoint, nothing is,everything is illusion, all of which he has already expounded in great detail.V: Sometimes, it is just a matter of terms, not one of mis-understanding andsometimes I think when Maharaj's teaching is put in to English, more attentioncould be paid to using terms consistent with the way that most peopleunderstand them. Otherwise, the full force of those teach¬ings will be lost.As Prescribed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj . 155 I: These translations are in hisown vocabulary of spirituality.

V: People have had to revert completely to using the San¬skrit words, and thenspending pages trying to explain them. There just are not that many words inEnglish to explain what Maharaj is expounding.I: English English is different from American English.V: That I know, because I was brought up with English English.I: We, too, have a number of difficulties. Take the word vijnana, for example.Vijnana is used in physics and other sciences, but here that word is used asabsolute knowl¬edge. Ajnana is the lowest; that is, ignorance. Jnana isknowledge and vijnana is transcending knowledge, according to Maharaj.M: You see, this "I-am-ness" is normally this five-elemen¬tal interaction andplay. Out of the earth, with the help of water, sprouting of vegetation takesplace. Out of vegeta¬tion, the essences are drawn and out of the essences,which are the food for all beings, come the grains for human beings. Now fromthe quintessence of this food, the "I-am-ness" is sustained. The food is stored inthe form of a body. The food is continuously consumed by the vital breath. Andin the process of consuming this food, the vital breath sustains that flame of "I-am-ness." To have "I-am-ness," the food body and vital breath are verynecessary; in short, one may say it is a product of food body essence and vitalbreath. Then only this "I-am-ness" or consciousness is available.Now the consciousness, when it gets involved with the body-mind, is theindividual. It is conditioned by body and mind. Mind is concepts. Whatever itreceives through the five senses, and is stored, that is the mind. And whateverthe words that flow out, that is also mind. So when that consciousness isconditioned by the body and the mind, it is individualistic, a personality. And Ialways tell people, you depersonify yourself by not identifying with the body-mind. When you do that, you are that manifest principle; you are no more apersonality, you are only consciousness.When you are in that consciousness state, you are in a position to observe themind flow, any thoughts occurring to you—you are apart from thought. You don'tidentify with that thought. Since you observe the body and its actions, you arenot one with those; you are apart from that body. Thus, you are now inconsciousness; that is the first stage. So when you are only consciousness, youare all manifest; this is to be realized. Then, provided you are, everything is, yourworld is, and your god is. You are the primary cause, the prerequisite foranything else to exist, whether it be your god or your world. You abide only inconsciousness. In your attention, only consciousness should be there. That is themeditation.Now the next step is—the question raised in the morn-ing—are you in a positionto observe consciousness? This is also the final step. When you are in a positionto observe or witness consciousness—and, of course, the vital breath, body andits actions—then by virtue of that very observa¬tion, you are apart from theconsciousness.

V: Maharaj has mentioned this on other days. Like the first step is gettingestablished in this awareness of "I am," and being confirmed, strengthened andstabilized in that condi¬tion. Then one is in a position to witness what onealways assumes oneself to be.M: So when you are in a position to observe consciousness, you are out of consciousness. Then you are what we call "the awareness state," the vijnana or jnana state. Is it firmly stabilized in you, or are you still wavering, vacillating?V: This central sense of "I-am-ness" has become much firmer since I have beenhere, without me having to go home, get my book out twice a day, read it, andthen remember what I should be doing. I find I am being natu¬rally drawn to ittime and again during the day.M: Is it not possible to remember that witnessing of the consciousness is to bedone or is to happen? After reading the book I Am That, are you not able toconclude that wit¬nessing of the consciousness is necessary?Suppose you just got married; thereafter, you know you are different somehow,your status has changed: you witness your wife, you know you are a husband.Similarly, after reading the book, you know consciousness is there. Is it (theconsciousness) not witnessing the conscious¬ness? Reading is one thing, butactually applying it to yourself is another thing. Having understood my talks, areyou able to fathom your own identity? Could your identity dawn upon yourself?V: At moments, yes. Like the sun coming up at dawn, our overwhelming sense of it.M: Can you understand the dawn? Before the sunrise, can you understandsunrise?V: Intellectually, yes.M: Not at all.V: You can't witness it.M: To the knowledge "I am," has it drawn a tangible, per¬ceptible image? Is itvery clear, this particular point? Then, how are you going to carry out yournormal worldly activi¬ties? Since you know that you have no innate form, nodesign, how are you going to carry out, deliberately, your responsibilities?V: I am not going to carry them out; they are just going to go on.M: Have you been able to erase completely that symbol of birth that yourepresent?V: Not completely, no. M: Then, how can you state that you have got the knowledge?   ....................

[Addressing a new visitor, who announces he has practiced Patanjali Yoga fortwenty years] In your study of yoga over the past twenty years, what identityhave you found, what image have you formed about yourself? What is your truenature, have you come upon that? What do you earn your living by?V: Interior decorator. Furniture design.M: With all your study of yoga, Patanjali, and sutra for twenty years, have youachieved whatever you set out to achieve?V: I am enjoying permanent happiness, twenty-four hours, non-stop, since twentylong years.M: For what purpose have you come here?As Prescribed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj . 179 V: Just to hear...[inaudible]...fortelling you of my experience.M: Those names that you mentioned, I have heard of them; I have not made astudy of them, and they are only names to me. You may have come having heard there is a jnani here. But I am telling you, Ihave no knowledge of any ancient texts, or anything. The only thing I know isthis conscious¬ness, this beingness, the knowledge that I am there. And I knowhow and why or in what circumstances it has come, and the value of thatconsciousness. That is all.I started from the fact that I had no knowledge of the birth and how I got thisbody and the consciousness. I was surprised that this body and theconsciousness should have come suddenly without my knowledge, without mypermis¬sion. So whatever my thought and my knowledge, it started from there,inquiry started from that point. But Patanjali and pranayama and kundalini, allthese are only names to me; I have never practiced anything of that sort.V: I also feel it is not necessary. This Patanjali system I also tried, studying itfrom 1973 to 1976 without the help of any books or anything. I was trying toachieve mental concen¬tration, since I felt most miserable; physically andmentally I was so disturbed that I wanted peace more than anything else. So thatwas my training. To achieve mental concentra¬tion, I went through a lot of trouble...went into seclusion, in one room, where I sat for about one and a half months.M: How am I concerned with your whole history? It is nobody's business.With all your study for twenty years, and having reached such a high standard,there was no need for you to come here.V: Maybe I'll come once or twice, that is all—three times, maximum, that isenough.

M: Everybody is equal here. We are not concerned with the knowledge that youhave acquired.V: This is my existence.INTERPRETER: Maharaj is speaking for himself. The other day, you mayremember, he was talking about the resolution of his original inquiry, when hereached the conclusion that whatever knowledge he had acquired was allignorance; then he got the final satisfaction and peace. A man with a keenintellect who comes here, within a very short time— say 10, 15 minutes—shouldbe able to arrive at the conclu¬sion that all knowledge is ignorance and that thepersonality is a fraud. But you are not accepting Maharaj's conclusion that allknowledge is ignorance. So Maharaj tells you to do a lot of meditation and findout: How did I get this first consciousness, this knowledge of existence? I did notask for it, but suddenly, automatically, spontaneously, it has come about withoutmy knowledge. How has it happened? Come to the solution of this mystery!V: Originally it is there, that is why it has come.M: When all the four Vedas ultimately came to the conclu¬sion that it wasbeyond their power, what will your words achieve?V: Nobody's words can achieve...No word can achieve this thing. When the wordstops, what state is there?M: If he thinks he is a jnani, he is wasting his time; only that person who thinkshe has no knowledge should come here. But people like you who think they haveknowledge, there is no use in your coming here; you are wasting your time.V: No, I don't think I have knowledge.As Prescribed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj • 181 M: No use your coming here,you are wasting your time!V: I don't think anything like that. If somebody thinks it is a problem...I don'tthink...I: Please...we come here to listen to his words, and we don't intend to make anycomments that are irrelevant. Therefore, whatever he says and that is beingtranslated...if you have a question on that...M: What happens to the people who come here? They come because theyconsider themselves ignorant and want knowl¬edge. So when they listen, theyget knowledge and ultimate¬ly they give it up again as being unnecessary. Butthose who consider themselves to be a jnani, who consider that they haveknowledge, they are wasting their time by coming here. For a person who is a jnani to come here...no jnani will come here. For coming here itself is anadmission that he is not a jnani; therefore, it would be impossible for him tocome here. Only someone who is in need of knowledge will come here.

What is the extent of my knowledge? Nobody will ask: Bombay, where have youcome from and give me any details of it. Nor would Bombay ask anyone: Wherehave you come from and what are your antecedents? That is the extent of myknowledge. Advaita means unicity. In that, how can there be two: one askingabout another?I: Maharaj says his centre of seeing is no longer from the phenomenal; it lies inthe Noumenon. But persons come here and to that extent we are phenomena. Therefore, in dealing with Us he is forced to see and speak from the point of viewof the phenomenon. Otherwise, as far as he is con¬cerned, he is totally in theNoumenon. And so whatever happens in the phenomenal realm cannot and doesnot affect him.People call to invite him and he appreciates that, but he says: "What is the use? Idon't have an instrument with which to enjoy that hospitality or whatever isbeing offered. The instrument no longer functions. Anything consideredeminently acceptable cannot be accepted because it has no effect on me sincethere is nothing with which I can enjoy it. But that is a position which I am unableto express, or is not to be expressed to others. All worldly wisdom and activ¬itiesare directed toward acquiring worldly happiness. Whatever one sees, one gets interested in."        ...............

M: You will die. In this connection, please don't use that word "I"—that exclusive,personified "I." You should talk without it. The moment you say "I," you arepersonified, you become individual.V: This body...M: What do you mean by "body"? Body is the food—the food for that touch of "I-am-ness," consciousness. Now take this chemical, whatever is fixed to that stick,[holding a match] That is the food for that spark. So long as this chem¬icalingredient is available, that food is available, and until then the spark will last. Itseems you never feel happy unless you get identified with the body. Get insteadidenti¬fied with the vital force, the vital breath, and then talk. Have you everseen the vital breath lying dead as a corpse?What is the vital, primary capital available to you now? It is the vital force only,and with that you perceive through the senses.By worshipping that vital force, if the body drops (when, in common parlance, itis known as dead), actual¬ly do I die? Your Praneshvar, that divine vital breath,is it at any time apart from your body? Wherever you go, you are alwaysaccompanied. Who is your constant escort? It is that Praneshvar, that vital force.If there is no associa¬tion with this vital force, can there be that "I-am-ness"?V: In this life, if I do not realize myself and the body drops, what will happen tothat vital breath?M: You are accusing the vital breath. The body will drop, but what will happen toyou, the vital breath?V: Whether I realize or do not realize myself, there is a dif-ference.M: What does it matter? That is my responsibility, from my standpoint. Formillions of years, eternally, I never knew I was. How did it matter? In the absolutestate, that "I-am-ness" was not available. WTiat did happen? It did not matter atall.Because of the confluence of the vital breath and that touch of "I-am-ness," thereare all these incidences of pleasure and pain. The cause of all that is thisconflu¬ence—vital breath and "I-am-ness." Does the vital breath, prana, itself suffer pain or pleasure? No, but here that "I- am-ness" is lacking. You talk on this thing; you only presume that you are a jnani. What knowledgehave you? Everybody takes pride and thinks "I am knowledgeable." You mightattain any dis¬tinction, any elevated level, in this world, but this fear of death isnot going to leave you. This charge, that I am going to die, is it imposed on that "I-am-ness" or this vitalforce? The pity is until we reach that death, we always embrace the body as ouridentity, and therefore we have that fear of death. When the vital force operatesthrough the body, that touch of "I-am-ness" is felt.

Now I am not going to talk anymore, unless you raise some questions.V: Let me digest first what I have heard.M: There is a simple fact. Where is the question of digest¬ing my talk? You arethe vital force. And the vital force is universal. That is all. When you thoroughlyand truly under¬stand anything without aberrations, where is the question of working toward further conviction?V: What is coming between me and my enlightenment? When I have understood,I have faith in it.M: Even "between" implies the idea that you are the body. That is the obstacle.V: So I must practice to forget it.M: Or visualize it (at once). Actually, it is not necessary for you to try to forget it.Once you say that you are the vital breath, where is the question of your tryingto forget that you are the body?Let me make it very clear to you. This body is the food; it contains blood andbones. On that, this vital breath is sustained; or, the vital breath consumes thisfood. And with the vital breath, this touch of "I-am-ness," the beingness,As Prescribed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj . 205 comes about.V: Yes, in the morning Maharaj explained this very con¬vincingly.M: How has it been put to use? If it was driven home and has been understoodvery clearly, where is the scope for all these questions? You are the paramatman, the Brahman. If that is too difficult, then at least try tobe this vital breath, this uni¬versal air, only.Is gold itself crooked? But when you make an ornament out of it—that is, yougive gold a form and name—it becomes distorted or crooked. Just as by givingyourself a name, you became crooked. Gold as such is not stupid. Gold meansthe Self without name and form. But in gold, when it was transformed into anornament and given a name, the distortion or stupidity started. July 14/15 1980EPILOGUEMaster: The sum and substance of my teaching is this: Don't be dishonest toyour vital breath; worship that only, abide in that only, accept it as yourself. Andwhen you wor¬ship in this manner, it can lead you anywhere, to any heights—this is the quintessence of my talks.Presently, you are to be identified with the vital breath. Then you will realize, likethe sweetness in sugar cane, that this touch of "I-am-ness," which is dwelling in

the vital breath, will open up. So understand these words, this advice. Assimilateit, and so long as the vital breath is flow¬ing through you, abide in that. If thevital breath is there, you are there and so is Ishwara.In such simplified fashion, nobody has expounded this profound knowledge.

.                               ----------------  15 July 1980  -----------------

source

Consciousnessand the Absolute
The final talks of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Edited byJean Dunn

Acknowledgments
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's talks were taped by Ms. N. Vanaja, who never missed a meeting.We are all grateful to her for her dedicated service.I was with Maharaj continuously during the time I was transcribing the talks from tapes tomanuscript, and I transcribed all these tapes on a daily basis. With his blessings I came back toAmerica on April 24,1981, to try to get his talks published before his death. However, they were notin print until after his death. Since Maharaj spoke only Marathi, translators were always present.Chief among them were Saumitra K. Mullarpattan, who was with Maharaj for many years; RameshS. Balsekar, who was with Maharaj for the last three years of his life and Damayanti Doongaji, whowas a long time disciple. Our most grateful thanks go to all of them.I am especially grateful to Marjorie Russell, for her assistance in preparing this manuscript for  publication.Abiding by the wishes of my Guru, Nisargadatta Maharaj, who wanted to publish his talkswithout any alterations, I have not changed the wording as translated. The manuscript has beenedited for punctuation only, not for language or style. If readers have any difficulty inunderstanding some of the expressions, a glossary has been provided at the end.Several of Maharaj's talks are repetitive. The explanation is that even toward the end of his life,when his body was very weak, Maharaj continued to hammer home his teachings. Nowhere is thismore apparent than in his final words to us in
Consciousness and the Absolute.
JD

Introduction
The teachings of Nisargadatta Maharaj have been published in several books using the originalquestion-and-answer format in which the teachings were given. Maurice Frydman's translation of Maharaj's talks,
"I Am That"
and other collections which followed, including my own, have servedas guideposts to Maharaj's philosophy. Many people from the West have come to follow his precepts through their reading of these collections. Now, another in the golden link of guideposts is presented here as
"Consciousness and the Absolute".
In this book you will find the last teachings of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, the final dialogues hehad with the people who had come from all over the world to hear his words. These talks, comingduring the last days of his life, were the culmination of the rarest teachings he had to give us; theywere the summit of the heights of his wisdom.The scene for these talks was the small upstairs room which he had built some fifty years before, for his own meditation. So many seekers had come to him for spiritual guidance over a spanof forty years! Now his talks were short, terse, during the pain-filled days of the illness (cancer). Itwas abundantly clear that although the body was in terrible pain, he knew he was not that body. Weknew his body was suffering because he told us; yet we never heard a moan or a whimper from hislips. It was awe-inspiring simply to watch him.Maurice Frydman described this great teacher as "warmhearted, tender, shrewdly humorous,absolutely fearless and true; inspiring, guiding and supporting all who come to him." Others havedescribed him as a tiger. He was what-ever was needed: kind, gentle, patient, abrupt, abrasive, impatient. Moods passed over him likesummer breeze, barely touching him.The force of his message resounds with his singleness of purpose: "Give up all you have readand heard and just BE. You, as the Absolute, are not this "I Amness", but presently you have toabide in "I Amness". He says it again and again. But the very repetition of his teachings ismeaningful, for we have built up a hard shell around this pseudo-ego to protect it; therefore,constant hammering is needed to break this shell. The repetitious style of his teaching is part of hiswisdom and teaching skill.He taught us to find out for ourselves, to ponder his words, and ask ourselves, "Can this betrue?" He said one must find out what the body is, where it came from, study it with detachment,watch it without judging. One soon sees that it is just like a robot which has been programmed byothers. We are to turn within to that which lets us know that we are, to become one with that.Abiding in the "I Amness" (or Consciousness, which is pure love), that Consciousness itself will give us all the answers. At the present time, Consciousness is what we are, not personalConsciousness, but impersonal, universal Consciousness. In course of time, the Consciousness willshow us that we are not even this, but we are that Eternal Absolute, unborn, undying.All shadings of his singular wisdom are reflected during these last, poignant conversations withthose who were privileged to be in his presence.When you read his words, may you find in them his blessings.JEAN DUNN

May 1, 1980
Questioner:
How does a jnani see the world?
Maharaj:
A jnani is aware of the origin and the value of consciousness, this beingness, which hasspontaneously dawned on him. This same consciousness plays a multitude of roles, some happy,some unhappy; but whatever the roles, the jnani is merely the seer of them. The roles have no effecton the jnani.All your problems are body-mind problems. Even so, you cling to that body. Since you identifywith the body-mind, you follow certain polite modes of expression when you talk. I do not. I mightembarrass you; you may not be able to take what I say. I have no sense of propriety.You are bound by your own concepts and notions. Actually, you love only this sense of "I";you do everything because of this. You are not working for anybody, nor for the nation, but only for this sense of "I" which you love so much.
Q:
But I like to act; I like to work.
M:
All these activities go on, but they are only entertainment. The waking and deep sleep statescome and go spontaneously. Through the sense of "I", you spontaneously feel like working. Butfind out if this sense of "I" is real or unreal, permanent or impermanent.The "I" which appears is unreal. How unreal it is I have proven. The moment the "I" is provenunreal, who is it who knows that the "I" is unreal? This knowledge within you that knows the "I" isunreal, that knowledge which knows change, must itself be changeless, permanent.You are an illusion,
Maya,
an imagination. It is only because I know that I'm unreal that I knowyou also are unreal. It is not like this: Because I am real, you are unreal. It is like this: Because I amunreal, everything is unreal.Consciousness depends on the body; the body depends on the essence of food. It is theConsciousness which is speaking now. If the food-essence is not present, the body cannot exist.Without the body, would I be able to talk?Can you do anything to retain this sense of "I"? As it came spontaneously, so will it go. It willnot forewarn you by announcing, "I am going tomorrow."A doubt has arisen and you are trying to find the solution, but who is it who has this doubt?Find out for yourself.

May 10, 1980
Maharaj:
How did I get to the truth that I prevail everlastingly? By meditating on the meditator, by"I Amness" merging into "I Airiness". Only then did I understand what my true nature is. The greatSages meditated in the same way. Nobody had told me how to do it. I did not seek this knowledgeexternally. It sprouted within me.I meditated like the Sages and saw a vision. Initially, there was space, and in the space I sawthe principles embodied. Actually, they have no bodies, but in my vision they had bodies. I calledthem
Prakriti
and
Purusha,
the male and female aspects of cosmic consciousness.Until the union of
Prakriti
and
Purusha,
the dynamic, all-pervading consciousness lay in adormant state. In the union of the male and female aspects, emissions were planted in the female of these figures. When these emissions merged in the womb they started taking form. After ninemonths of gestation, an infant was delivered.That consciousness which was planted in the womb was the causal body, the
"lingadeha".
Inthat
"lingadeha",
the knowledge "I Am" was in a dormant condition. This is what I saw inmeditation.
Questioner:
How did we lose this pure consciousness state?
M:
Every being experiences the
Isvara
state, either directly or potentially, but he is so wrapped upin this objective world that he loses his identity. You must know what this "I Am" principle is. Itappears spontaneously and with its appearance begins the riddle of conceptual life.
Q:
How do I start this search for my Self?
M:
Start from the very beginning. In this gross world I began with my parents, because I knew fullwell that my principle was already dwelling there in the collection of their bodily elements out of which I emanated. But I came to the conclusion that I could not be that principle which came fromthe mother's body.There is nobody here who is 100 years old. Does that mean that 100 years ago you did notexist?
Q:
I don't know.
M:
The one who said, "I don't know" must have been there; in short, you were not like this, but youmust have been something. You must comprehend this correctly. 100 years back I was not like this;so, the one pointing this out must have been there. You did, and do, exist unto eternity.What I am expounding does not relate to worldly knowledge. You do not want to give upeither worldly knowledge or so-called spiritual knowledge, and yet, through these worldly concepts,you want to understand the riddle of your existence, and that is precisely why you are not able tounderstand.In truth, your state is one of Absolute bliss, not this phenomenal state. In that non-phenomenalstate you are full of bliss but there is no experience of its presence. In that state there is no trace of misery or unhappiness, only unalloyed bliss. What am I talking about?
Q:
Ananda (bliss).
M:
Because you want some satisfaction according to your own concepts, you try to qualifyunalloyed bliss. The term
"ananda"
has significance only when it signifies that the bodily beingnessis available to experience it. When you are in deep sleep and you start to see forms, you are actually  dreaming. Aren't those dream forms coming from your own beingness? Whatever you see, even inthe waking state, doesn't it come from your own beingness which is dwelling within the body?In deep sleep, consciousness was in a dormant condition; there were no bodies, no concepts, noencumbrances. Upon the arrival of this apparently wakeful state, with the arrival of the concept "IAm", the love of "I Am" woke up. That itself is
Maya,
illusion.
Q:
Does Maharaj mean that the experiencer of the three states is the Self?
M:
That is the
Saguna Brahman
state; because of your beingness the other states are. The dreamworld is very old, it is not new. You see old monuments in your dreams. Your beingness is very powerful.The emergence of this beingness itself constitutes time. Everything is beingness, but I, theAbsolute, am not that. In meditation, there was space, when suddenly two forms appeared out of no-form,
Prakriti
and
Purusha,
and the quintessence of these forms was the knowledge "I Am".There were no forms, then suddenly forms appeared, just as in the dream world.You as a dreamer are sleeping on the bed, but in your dream world you see a body and youthink it is you, and you are doing everything through this dream body. In that same way, bodies arecreated in the so-called waking state.The
Prakriti
and
Purusha
state has no form and is eternal, having neither a beginning nor anend. But from it come the five elements, and with them, simultaneously, the body is formed at themoment that time is first experienced. This process is ever continuing, with the body-form merelyindicative of the opportunity to experience time. This explanation will not reach home to everyone.At the moment of so-called death, with what identity would you like to depart?
Q:
As Parabrahman.
M:
The Absolute, which I call
Parabrahman,
what is it like? What you are doing is multiplyingwords with more words, concepts with more concepts.
Q:
Maharaj must take me out of this.
M:
Can you define what you are?
Q:
I must have your blessing to understand what I am.
M:
You are very adept at word-games. While I am talking about knowledge that is beyond this phenomenal world, you are trying to understand through worldly concepts and words. Give up allthese concepts and inquire into the nature of your beingness. How did you happen to be? Ponder it!The real blessing of the Guru comes when your knowledge itself sprouts inside you.

May 14, 1980
Maharaj:
Doctors have diagnosed that this body has cancer. Would anyone else be as joyful as Iam, with such a serious diagnosis? The world is your direct experience, your own observation. Allthat is happening is happening at this level, but I am not at this level. I have dissociated myself from
Sattva Guna,
beingness.The Ultimate state in spirituality is that state where no needs are felt at any time, where nothingis useful for anything. That state is called
Nirvana, Nirguna,
that which is the Eternal and UltimateTruth. The essence and sum total of this whole talk is called
Sat-guru Parabrahman,
that state inwhich there are no requirements.After the dissolution of the universe, when no further vestige of creation was apparent, whatremained is my perfect state. All through the creation and dissolution of the universe, I remain ever untouched. I have not expounded this part: my state never felt the creation and dissolution of theuniverse. I am the principle which survives all the creations, all the dissolutions. This is my state,and yours, too, but you don't realize it because you are embracing your beingness. Realizing it isonly possible when one gets support from invincible faith, from that eternal
Sat-guru Parabrahman.
This state, this
Parabrahman
principle, is eternal and is also the
Sat-guru.
It is theeternal property of any devotee of a Guru.

July 29, 1980
Questioner:
Why did this consciousness arise?
Maharaj:
You are both the question and the answer. All your questions come from your identification with the body. How can any questions relating to that which was prior to the body andconsciousness be answered? There are yogis who have sat in meditation for many, many yearsseeking answers to this question, but even they haven't understood it. And yet you are complaining.
Q:
It is a great mystery.
M:
It's a mystery only to the ignorant. To the one not identified with the body, it is no longer amystery.
Q:
Maharaj cannot convey it to us?
M:
I keep telling you but you don't listen.
Q:
Does Maharaj see us as individuals?
M:
There are no individuals; there are only food bodies with the knowledge "I Am". There is nodifference between an ant, a human being, and
Isvara;
they are of the same quality. The body of anant is small, an elephant's is large. The strength is different, because of size, but the life-force is thesame. For knowledge the body is necessary.
Q:
How did Maharaj get the name Nisargadatta?
M:
At one time I was composing poems. Poems used to flow out of me and, in this flow, I justadded Nisargadatta. I was reveling in composing poems until my Guru cautioned me, "You areenjoying composing these poems too much; give them up!"What was he driving at? His objective was for me to merge in the Absolute state instead of reveling in my beingness.This was the way I realized knowledge, not through mental manipulation. My Guru said, "Thisis so," and for me, it was finished! If you continue in the realm of intellect you will becomeentangled and lost in more and more concepts.Consciousness is time flowing continuously. But I, the Absolute, will not have its companyeternally because consciousness is time bound. When this beingness goes, the Absolute will notknow "I Am". Appearance and disappearance, birth and death, these are the qualities of beingness;they are not your qualities. You have urinated and odor is coming from that - are you that odor?
Q:
No, I am not.
M:
This beingness is like that urine. Can you be that beingness?
Q:
Absolutely not!
M:
You require no more
sadhana.
For you, the words of the Guru are final.

October 5, 1980
Maharaj:
I have no individuality. I have assumed no pose as a person. Whatever happens in themanifest consciousness happens.People identify me with their concepts and they do what their concepts tell them. It isconsciousness which is manifest, nothing else. Who is talking, who is walking, who is sitting?These are the expressions of that chemical "I Am". Are you that chemical? You talk about heavenand hell, this Mahatma or that one, but how about you? Who are you?In meditation, one sees a lot of visions. They are in the chemical, the realm of your consciousness, are they not? All these things are connected only to that birth-chemical. You are notthis chemical "I Am"!Spiritual knowledge should not be studied; it is knowledge derived from listening. When thelistener hears it, and accepts it, something clicks in him.This "I Amness" is otherness; it is an expression of duality.

November 8, 1980
Questioner:
Why is it that we naturally seem to think of ourselves as separate individuals?
Maharaj:
Your thoughts about individuality are really not your own thoughts; they are allcollective thoughts. You think that you are the one who has the thoughts; in fact thoughts arise inconsciousness.As our spiritual knowledge grows, our identification with an individual body-mind diminishes,and our consciousness expands into universal consciousness. The life force continues to act, but itsthoughts and actions are no longer limited to an individual. They become the total manifestation. Itis like the action of the wind - the wind doesn't blow for any particular individual, but for the totalmanifestation.
Q:
As an individual can we go back to the source?
M:
Not as an individual; the knowledge "I Am" must go back to its own source. Now, consciousness has identified with a form. Later, it understands that it is not that form andgoes further. In a few cases it may reach the space, and very often, there it stops. In a very fewcases, it reaches its real source, beyond all conditioning.It is difficult to give up that inclination of identifying the body as the self. I am not talking toan individual, I am talking to the consciousness. It is consciousness which must seek its source.

Outof that no-being state comes the beingness. It comes as quietly as twilight, with just a feel of "I Am"and then suddenly the space is there. In the space, movement starts with the air, the fire, the water,and the earth. All these five elements are you only. Out of your consciousness all this has happened.There is no individual. There is only you, the total functioning is you, the consciousness is you.You are the consciousness, all the titles of the Gods are your names, but by clinging to the body you hand yourself over to time and death—you are imposing it on yourself.I am the total universe. When I am the total universe I am in need of nothing because I ameverything. But I cramped myself into a small thing, a body; I made myself a fragment and becameneedful. I need so many things as a body.In the absence of a body, do you, and did you, exist? Are you, and were you, there or not?Attain that state which is and was prior to the body. Your true nature is open and free, but you cover it up, you give it various designs.

November 9, 1980
Questioner:
Should the type of dispassion which Maharaj is teaching us be taught to children?
Maharaj:
No. If that's done, they'll have no ambition to grow further; they must have certainambitions, certain desires, for their proper growth.The one who has fully investigated himself, the one who has come to understand, will never tryto interfere in the playof consciousness. There is no creator with a vast intellect as such; all this play is going onspontaneously. There's no intellect behind it, so don't try to impose yours to bring about any change;leave it alone. Your intellect is a subsequent product of this process, so how can your intellect takecharge of or even evaluate, the whole creation? Investigate your self; this is the purpose of your  being.Spirituality is nothing more than understanding this play of consciousness—try to find outwhat this fraud is by seeking its source.

November 12, 1980
Maharaj:
The "I

Amness", the manifest
Brahman,
and
Isvara
are all only one; ponder over this andrealize it. This is a rare opportunity, one where all has been explained in great detail, so take fulladvantage of it.You are the manifest
Brahman.
I have told you many times what your true state is, but, throughforce of habit, you again descend into body identification. A stage has now arrived at which youmust give up this bodily identification. The bodily activities will continue until the body drops off, but you should not identify with them.
Questioner:
How are we to do this?
M:
You can watch the body, so you are not the body. You can watch the breath, so you are not thevital breath. In the same way, you are not the consciousness; but you have to become one with theconsciousness. As you stabilize in the consciousness, dispassion for the body and for theexpressions through the body occurs spontaneously. It is a natural renunciation, not a deliberateone.It does not mean that you should neglect your worldly duties; carry these out with full zest.
Q:
Shouldn't we rediscover the freedom of the little baby from the body?
M:
Understand the source of child. The child is a product of the sperm of the father and the ovumof the mother. Consciousness is there in the child as it is in the parents; it is always the sameconsciousness whether in the child or the adult. There is only one consciousness. You must becomeone with and stabilize in that consciousness, then you transcend it. That consciousness is your onlycapital. Understand it.To what extent do you know yourself?
Q:
I have held the feet of Sat-guru, beyond that I don't know anything.
M:
You must do that, but you should understand the meaning of "feet of
Sat-guru."
Understandthat, as movement begins with the feet, so movement begins from no-knowingness to knowingness.When the knowingness occurs, that is
Sat-guru
movement. Go to the source for that movementwhere the "I Amness" begins. The effort of the one who has arrested that movement will not go towaste. Holding the feet of the
Sat-guru
is the boderline between knowingness and no-knowingness.

November 17, 1980
Questioner:
Don't we have to discard all knowledge?
Maharaj:
You must have a thorough knowledge of this consciousness, and having knowneverything about the consciousness you come to the conclusion that it is all unreal, and then itshould drop off. Having listened to these talks, sit and meditate, "That which I have heard, is it trueor not?" Then you will understand that this is also to be discarded.The principle which can pass judgment on whether the world is or is not, that principleantedates the world. That by which everything is known, whether it is or is not - who knows this?When I say
Parabrahman,
then you say that you understand. Names are merely an instrumentfor communicating. Do you understand what I am driving at?
Q:
The jnani knows that this is all an illusion, that there is no path; but if from within the illusion,one is convinced that there is a path, and there's somewhere to go, does it make sense to usetechniques to get to that further illusion?
M:
Illusion - is it a word or not?
Q:
It's a word that relates to a concept.
M:
That is also a name only, is it not?
Q:
Yes.
M:
So what illusory word do you want that will satisfy you?...........................

............   November 18, 1980
Maharaj:
My present outlook is without limitation, total freedom.Ultimately one must go beyond knowledge, but the knowledge must come, and knowledge cancome by constant meditation. By meditating, the knowledge "I Am" gradually settles down andmerges with universal knowledge, and thereby becomes totally free, like the sky, or space.Those who come here with the idea of getting knowledge, even spiritual knowledge, come hereas individuals aspiring to get something; that is the real difficulty. The seeker must disappear.When you know your real nature the knowledge "I Am" remains, but that knowledge isunlimited. It is not possible for you to acquire knowledge, you
are
knowledge. You are what youare seeking.Your true being exists prior to the arising of any concept. Can you, as an object, understandsomething that existed prior to the arising of a concept? In the absence of consciousness is there any proof of the existence of anything? Consciousness itself is mind, is thought, is all phenomena, allmanifestation. Apprehending this is being dead to "I am the body" while alive. This kind of knowledge comes only in a rare case, and is a very elusive kind of knowledge where no effort isnecessary; in fact, effort itself is a hindrance. It is intuitive understanding.
Questioner:
Then should all spiritual disciplines be dropped?
M:
At the highest level this is so; at the earlier levels you have to do your homework.Those who are able intuitively to grasp this lose their interest in worldly affairs. Having lost it,what will they get? Whatever they have lost, they will have lost as an ordinary person, but whatthey get in return will be fit for a King. Those who have comprehended and who have reached acertain stage will not ask for anything, but everything will come to them spontaneously. There will be no wish for it; nevertheless, it will be there.This does not happen for an individual — it happens for the universal manifestation, or for theone who has become one with his true nature. For the jnani, only witnessing is taking place.

November 20, 1980
Maharaj:
The principle which can know itself is in the organism. In a worm crawling, it is there, because the worm knows itself instinctively.By listening to my talks you will be transformed back to your original state, prior to your birth.Right now, in spite of your present life, it will happen. My present talk is quite different now, at ahigher level; therefore I do not invite anybody to listen to my present talks. I recommend thatnobody should come and listen because they will develop a dispassion for their family or daily life.Language energy and vital breath energy should merge and stabilize. Otherwise, if you allowthem to go outward, they will be dissipated.If you want peace, stabilize at that point where you started to be, stay put there. Om is theunstruck sound, the unpronounced word.You don't respond to my talks, you have not been able to perceive the nature of your consciousness. Consciousness is something like the drama of a play, play-acting. You areunsupported, you have no support at all. The birth, the parents, all this is illusion. Taking the bodyas oneself is the accident. If you don't cling to the body as your identity, everything is all right.When beingness forgets itself, that state is
Parabrahman.
This knowingness is not your truestate, it is the outcome of the food essence body, and you, the Absolute, are not that.

November 21, 1980
Maharaj:
Whatever I had thought earlier has now changed. What is happening now is that even theslightest touch of individuality has completely disappeared, and it is consciousness as such which isspontaneously experiencing. The result is total freedom. All the time there was complete convictionthat it was consciousness which was experiencing; but that "I" which the consciousness wasexperiencing was there. Now that has totally disappeared; therefore, whatever happens in the fieldof consciousness, I, who am there before consciousness, am not concerned in any way. Theexperience is of consciousness experiencing itself. Nevertheless, understand what consciousness is, even if consciousness is not an individual. The basis and source of consciousness is in the material. What I say is still in the conceptual world, andyou need not accept it as truth. Nothing in the conceptual world is true.Once the disease was diagnosed, the very name of the disease started various thoughts andconcepts. Watching those thoughts and concepts I came to the conclusion that whatever ishappening is in the consciousness. I told the consciousness, "It is you who is suffering, not I." If consciousness wants to continue to suffer, let it remain in the body. If it wants to leave the body, letit. Either way, I am not concerned.All kinds of things were happening, thoughts and experiences, and they were credited to myaccount, but once I have seen what it is, all those account books have been burned and I no longer have any account.How amusing it is to see someone who thinks of himself as an individual, who thinks of himself as a doer or achiever. Whatever is happening, and the experiencing of the happening, takes place in this consciousness when the "I Am" arises.

November 24, 1980
Questioner:
If there is no difference between what is prior to birth and what is after death there isno difference, is there any reason for attempting to learn who we are now? Isn't it all the same?
Maharaj:
The light coming from the sun and the sun itself -is there any difference?
Q:
The only difference is what happens in the middle?
M:
Whatever happens between birth and death is also an expression of the consciousness only.Even in the realm of consciousness you pass the time entertaining various concepts; what else areyou doing?
Q:
Is Maharaj playing with various concepts?
M:
No. It is the consciousness, it plays by itself.
Q:
Does Maharaj's consciousness play, even though he is detached from it?
M:
Consciousness is not private property, it is universal.
Q:
Though we understand this, sometimes it seems confined to a body.
M:
You are trying to understand with the intellect; just be. When I tell you that you are thatdynamic, manifest knowledge, you are everything. What else do you want?
Q:
I am aware that I came here because Maharaj gives me the mirror, but this time he is showing me that I am my own mirror.
M:
That is why you should not stay for long.
Q:
After we leave here, what are we to do?
M:
It is up to you. If you abide in consciousness everything will be happening spontaneously. If you are still at body-mind level, you will think that you are doing something. If you really abide inwhat I say, you become one with your Self. Then people will be serving you, they will fall at your feet. Whatever is necessary for you will happen. Activities are bound to happen. Consciousness cannever remain inactive, it will always be busy -that is its nature. When you come here, you havecertain expectations, certain aspirations, but after listening to my talks you lose all that.
Q:
Even when I have an intuitive understanding of this, what is this reluctance to give up all that I am not?
M:
You have not stabilized firmly in that understanding. Your conviction should be such that noquestion at all should arise in future about that. For example, a person is dead and has beencremated, it is all over, is there any question about that? Like that, it will be all over.
Q:
What effort do I need to make toward that?
M:
Effortlessly, just be.When the consciousness fully understands the consciousness, will it embrace the body asitself? It is in totality; it is not going to pick out a fragment of the manifestation and say," I am this."The consciousness expresses itself as does a light. This five elemental play is the manifestationof consciousness, the effulgence of consciousness only. The play of the five elements will finallymerge into the consciousness, because it is an outcome of the consciousness.

November 25, 1980
Maharaj:
People come here and stay for days, weeks, even months. The first few days what theyhave heard takes root, and that is when they should leave, so that what has taken root will have timeto grow and blossom. As soon as the seed takes root, they must go. What has taken root must bloom, must express itself within each heart.
Questioner:
Maharaj has said, in this respect, that the teachings were his Gurus, but theunderstanding was his.
M:
My Guru told me that consciousness alone is the Guru, all other developments sprouted withinme. The fruit should grow on your own plant. I should not sow my understandings in you.I have no use for traditions or traditional knowledge. If you do the slightest research ontradition you will see that it is all a concept. I am concerned with only one fact. Here I was in mywholeness, not even aware of my awareness, then suddenly this consciousness sprang up. How didit come about? That is the question which needs investigating.One must understand how clever this fraud of
Maya
is; first it shows us our body and makes us believe that we are the body, but the body is nothing but a speck of fertilized sperm, and in thatsperm the consciousness is latent. You see what a fraud it is?The essence of the body is the essence of the foodstuff, and this consciousness lies dormant init from the very beginning. In that state of consciousness is the entire universe. Having seen this,whoever has understood is bound to be quiet, knowing that this is only a transient happening. Anenormous structure of concepts being taught to us as knowledge is based on the simple appearanceof consciousness.

December 5, 1980
Maharaj:
This sickness gave the confirmation that there is no personality, no individual. Sicknessto whom? Sickness is part of the functioning of the entire manifest, dynamic
Chaitanya;
it is the play of consciousness. My true state is prior to this consciousness. That state does not depend on theconsciousness.There is a couplet we sing at
Bhajans,
to
Chakrapani. Chakrapani
means that "I Amness", thelife principle, the manifest principle. It is like this cigarette lighter. The gas as such has no light, butits manifestation is the flame; it is full of light, life, energy. Even in the atom and sub-atom, thatenergy is there.The functioning of consciousness takes place spontaneously, and one doesn't know what willhappen. For instance, I say something and M. will translate it one way, B. will translate it another,in whichever way they have understood it. This is the way the process will go on. This
Chakrapani
is "like a flywheel," Lord Krishna said, "rotating all beings." That energy which moves all things inthe waking state is latent in deep sleep. How long is one unaware of awareness? One doesn't know, but suddenly consciousness arises. Does anyone think along these lines? Is it not amazing thatconsciousness, which might remain latent for any length of time, suddenly arises spontaneously?
Questioner:
Is universal consciousness ever aware of itself as universal consciousness, or does it become aware only when there is a form?
M:
Awareness is not aware of its awareness. If you get too much involved in what I am saying youwill throw away the books you are writing, everything.
Q:
I will finish the books, then I am finished.
M:
[To Jean Dunn] You have promised me that you will complete the books. Universalconsciousness will not write the books. How will you write the books?
Q:
It will happen spontaneously.

December 8, 1980
Maharaj:
I

am talking about the consciousness which works through this body at the moment, butwhich is not visible. This consciousness is not limited to the body but is universal consciousness; Ican't speak of anything else now. A person who is already dead is not worried about anything.Whether the people like it or not doesn't matter. Perhaps you may be getting some blessings, some benefits, from listening to my talks, I don't know.All my actions are the actions of universal consciousness appearing to work through this body.I do not remember something from the past and then act; it is all action in the now.
Questioner:
Where does consciousness come from?
M:
It never comes or goes, it just appears to have come.
Q:
Why does Maharaj know this and we do not?
M:
It is not difficult for you to know also, but with what identity are you asking?
Q:
Is it karmic, can karma be changed?
M:
It is all consciousness working, not this one or that one working; it is all consciousness.
Q:
Can Maharaj, out of compassion, give me a push into that state of universal consciousness?
M:
Yes, of course, I can do that, but you must listen to me, you must have complete faith inwhatever I tell you about yourself, and you must behave accordingly.By nature I am non-manifest, yet I am manifested, but I am really not manifested. Can you livelike that, as the non-manifest?As long as the attribute is there, the quality of the attribute, the "I Am", is there; therefore, I canspeak like this. If it goes away, what happens? The sense of "I" has come and has gone, that is all, Iam not going to die. One who has rejected this identity will understand.
Q:
Maharaj said that he is not going to die?
M:
How can one who is not born, die?When people first learned about this illness, those who have affection for me came to talk tome, or wrote to me, giving advice and medicine. Whatever is to happen will happen, I have nointerest. I don't have fear so I don't have to do anything. It is quite in order that those who haveaffection for me write and come to discuss things with me; I don't listen to them, and that is alsoquite in order, because I am not afraid of anything.You are asking, "Who am I?" and you are not going to get an answer, because the one who willget the answer is false. You may have an idea, a concept, and you will think you have foundyourself, but it is only a concept; you can never see your Self.
Q:
What is sat-chit-ananda?
M:
It is words. You can take it that
sat-chit-ananda
is the limit which your mind can describe of that state which cannot be described. Your true state is non-manifest; the manifestation comes andthe words come. The one who experiences
sat-chit-ananda
is there before the experience.

December 15, 1980
Maharaj:
Consider the status you have reached if you are able to understand what I say, and if youhave understood, there will be no status at all. Your worth cannot be measured. You have done allyour homework and now your
sadhana
or spiritual practice is bearing fruit; now you are here. Let itgrow in you. You don't have to go to anybody else after you leave this place; that part of the work has already been done by you. Because you are worthy of that state of realization, you are heretoday.Get to know that "I Am" without words which arises in the morning. Knowing the Self, abidingin the Self-knowledge, is not a mere intellectual knowing. You must be that, and you should notmove away from it. Remain firm.Do not consult others about the advice I have given to them. Abide in what I have told onlyyou. Kill that curiosity to know what others are told; to each seeker the appropriate advice is given.Unless you abide in your own true nature you will not be able to gauge the depth of another'snature. When you try to understand others, the Self-effulgent nature of one's Self should open upcompletely. You will know yourself in the process. The knowledge being expounded here you willnot find in any books. Now, having given you so much, you may see me tomorrow or you may not,that is immaterial, but don't forget what I have told you about your Self.

December 18, 1980
Questioner:
This consciousness is like a screen, and I am the screen.
Maharaj:
Understand what I say without concepts; you are adding new concepts. Now go to zeroconcepts. There are many spiritual seekers whose aim is to acquire sufficient merit to reach acertain place, such as Heaven or
Vaikuntha.
I have had no aims except to find out. I was not awareof my awareness, and suddenly I became conscious that I am. Where and how did thisconsciousness arise on me? That was my enquiry, going back to that state when the presence of  phenomena was not there. That is, original knowledge of the original Self. So, I went back, tracingthis original Self, and I reached a stage where I wanted to know what my state was before thisconsciousness arose. That is the destination which I have reached.
Brahman, Isvara,
God, all theseare names given to the consciousness when it is conscious of itself. If you have properly understoodthis knowledge, what will be your position at the moment of so-called death? It will be watchingwhat is happening. This consciousness gradually loses everything, and ultimately consciousness isno longer conscious of itself. That state cannot be described. It is called
Parabrahman,
the SupremeAbsolute, but that is only a name for communication purposes.This line of enquiry started when I noticed that from the moment one wakes up until one fallsasleep, one is very busy doing something or other. What is it that compels us to do these things?Because of what does this go on? Then I came to the conclusion that it is my beingness, the fact thatI am conscious of existing, which is working throughout the day. That was how my enquiry started.In the body the indwelling principle is the consciousness. Abiding in the consciousness, it became all manifestation. Now transcendence of the consciousness has also occurred. With theappearance of consciousness, the Absolute knows it is, "I Am". This is the experience. There areother experiences now, in this time factor, but experiences are gradually dropping off, including this primary experience "I Am". It is only the consciousness that is going to disappear, the Absolute isalways there.What a fall! The perfect state, caught up in these experiences, and trying to derive certain benefits out of the experiences.
Q:
Is it spontaneous?
M:
Yes. Whatever experiences were happening in this field of knowingness, the Ultimate principlegot caught up in that. It accepted some experience as itself. Accepting experiences as the truth, itgets more and more involved.

December 22, 1980
Maharaj:
Just now I was lying down in the waking state, but with no perceiving or receiving of any words, something like a prior-to-words state. Now the last traces of personality or individuality have left me. Last year I used to talk to people with a certain affection, but that is not available now. My dwelling place in the grosser world is gone now; presently it is in the subtler sphere, as in space.The effect of these talks is that you will stabilize in the very source from which the wordssprout. Abiding in the dynamic, manifest consciousness is abiding in the words of the Guru. Themeaning of the
mantra
I have given you is that you are the manifest, dynamic principle, not the body. When you abide in that, you become that.People think that they are coming here of their own volition, but it is the consciousness whichis bringing them here, because the consciousness wants this knowledge.My talks are addressed to the consciousness, "You have identified with the body, but you arenot the body." It is knowledge which must understand its own nature, and merge with theknowledge which is its source.People come here and ask for blessings; they don't understand that the knowledge that one isnot the body, but the consciousness within, is the blessing.

December 25, 1980
Questioner:
When we are busy with our worldly jobs, what should we keep in mind?
Maharaj:
Because the "I Am" principle is there, it is moving all over. To recognize it, you put onvarious uniforms in order to give it an identity, but that principle is already there, and because of that principle you are engaging in various activities. Unless you wear the uniform (the body) youwill not be able to conduct any activities.This knowledge is meant for the
Isvara
principle, which is presently caught up in the illusionthat it is the body-mind. You have accepted the identity of the uniform and that identity becomesyour ego.
Isvara
is the manifest principle by which all activities are carried on. It has no form - the formsare given because of the five elemental play. Now, that principle gets completely lost in the uniformand is recognized by the uniform only. You have the fear of death because you fear losing your identity, the body.Since the uniform is available to you, by all means use it, but understand that you are not theuniform.
Q:
What does one do when the uniform gets troublesome?
M:
Recede into your own Self, be one with your true Self.This "I Amness" enjoys various experiences. It becomes a beggar or a King.Is this body eternal? The body has been changing all during your life, which identity is you?
Q:
I identify myself with my body, I know that.
M:
Who?
Q:
I do.
M:
Give me a photograph of the meaning of that word "I". You can't. That principle has no name or form or shape. My firm conclusion is that whatever is done through the uniform is perishable, it isnot going to remain. Which uniform has any permanency? Once you know that you are not the formor the name of that uniform, it is all over. Suppose you have hoarded some thousand-rupee notesand suddenly the government order comes that they are all invalidated.Once you discard this "I Amness" uniform, what remains is the
Parabrahman.
That which iseternally current is the
Parabrahman.
Q:
Will Maharaj help me discard my uniform?
M:
What is the need? It is not eternal, it never was.
Q:
We have not discarded ours, that is the problem.
M:
Now, tell me, when the knowingness was not there, what experiences did you have? That littletouch of "I Amness" and you felt the existence of yourself and the world.
Q:
How to give up this knowingness?
M:
Where is the need? If you accept that uniform as yourself, then the question of giving it up will be there. Give up your identity with the body, try to know yourself.It is merely knowingness, you cannot perceive that state. You come here because you areignorant, not because you are knowledgeable. This knowledge I give is only to remove ignorance.

December 26, 1980
Maharaj:
Out of what is the body created?
Questioner:
It is an expression of consciousness.
M:
Is this body not composed of the five elements? You know that you exist; does not thisknowledge depend on the five elements? The consciousness cannot be known without the body. Itdepends on the form.
Q:
Do you mean that without the body I do not know that I cm?
M:
That is correct. From your own experience, not what you have heard or read, can you know thatyou exist without the body?
Q:
I exist without this body.
M:
Forget about what you have read. When you did not have the experience of this body, did youhave the experience of being?
Q:
My English is not very good, I cannot express it, but I know "I Am."
M:
Before you were born, could you have felt or sensed or known that you exist? A jnani is free because he sees that the body is made up of the five elements and it works according to the natureof these elements. I see that body, but I am not concerned with whatever that body does. Thereis nothing in it with which I can identify. The essence of the combination of the five elementsis the sense of being, of existing. It has all come simultaneously, I have no part in it. Feeling that Iam present depends on having a body; I am neither the body nor the conscious presence.In this body is the subtle principle "I Am"; that principle witnesses all this. You are not thewords. Words are the expression of space, they are not yours. Still further, you are not that "I Am".
Q:
What am "I" then?
M:
Who is asking?
Q:
There is nothing here, no "I"?
M:
Who is asking this?
Q:
There is a sense of something, I don't know what it is.
M:
If you feel that sense of something, can it be the truth? When this consciousness goes intooblivion, who is to say what that state is?
Q:
I don't know.
M:
Because your "I Amness" is not there, you do not know yourself. When you began knowing thatyou are, you did a lot of mischief, but when the "I Am" is not there, there is no question of mischief.
Q:
Is the "I Am" there all the time, as long as my body is there?
M:
The "I Am" is absent only in the state of
samadhi,
when the self merges into the Self.Otherwise, it will be there. In the state of a realized person the "I Am" is there; he just doesn't givemuch importance to it. A jnani is not guided by a concept.
Q:
Do we have a relationship, Maharaj, when I think I should be here with you?
M:
The very thought is the relationship.

Q:
The intensity of my longing to be here made me wonder if Maharaj thinks of his disciples?
M:
I think of them more than you know.

December 30, 1980
Questioner:
I

think there should be beauty in the whole manifestation.
Maharaj:
You should not get involved in what has appeared. Take a tree - the bark, the leaves, the blossoms, the fruit, all have a different nature. If you get involved in the appearance of these, youwill lose sight of the source, the tree.Intellectually, you have understood, but you have to be one with it, you have to identify withwhat you have understood. Understand that the seed of this body is the sperm of the father mixedwith the ovum of the mother. That is the seed for the manifestation of the phenomena, but I am notthe seed, I am not the phenomena, nor am I the consciousness which is time-bound.The names and forms which you see are consciousness only. Your consciousness is very pureand that's why you are able to judge. The
Atman
is colorless, but it is able to judge colors, etc.Your
sadhana
is over; you have reached this place.This knowledge is for those who have no desires. The Self-knowledge is the most preciousknowledge.To you who search for the Self I explain this type of knowledge. I lead you to a state wherethere is no hunger, no desire, therefore I am not inclined to invite those who are worried about their  possessions and their relations to listen to my talks.When you have knowledge you see that the consciousness "I" is all-pervasive, as long as theconsciousness is there; but the witness of the consciousness has no "I Am" and that is your true,eternal nature."I love" gives rise to great joy, and at the same time there is nothing so miserable as "I love".Giving up the body is a great festival for me.What is the worth of all the activities of human beings? It is all entertainment, just to pass time.You get pleasure only when you forget yourself; in deep sleep you have forgotten yourself, thatitself is joy.It is the
Atman,
not the personality, that is drawn to spirituality.I will not expound knowledge in the future; a few words here and there will be all.

January 3, 1981
Maharaj:
Beingness has the quality to become whatever you think of. Whatever concept you feedto the consciousness, the consciousness will provide you with that. Whatever you hold on tointensely, you are bound to be that, that is the quality of your consciousness. You should never think that you are the body.Consciousness is not the body. As a result of the body the beingness is felt, but beingness isall-pervasive.Consciousness alone feels the expanse of consciousness, but I, the Absolute, am not that.Whatever is known is known by consciousness, is in the field of consciousness. Theconsciousness and the knowledge will subside when the food body dies. The Absolute alwaysremains. The seed of knowledge is planted in you by these talks; now you have to follow it up. Youmust nurse it, ruminate over it, so that the tree of knowledge will grow.

January 4, 1981
Questioner:
I was pondering what Maharaj said about all consciousness being the same thismorning, and for just a few seconds, it was as if everything was one and I was behind it. Is this theaim?
Maharaj:
That is not the aim, IT IS SO. It is there and it is only because of identity with the bodythat what is, doesn't seem as if it is.Please understand that there is only one thing to be understood, and that is that you are theformless, timeless unborn. It is because of your identification with the body as an entity that your consciousness, which is universal consciousness, thinks that it is dying. Nobody is dying, becausenobody was born.The millions of forms are the manifestation of consciousness. It is the millions of forms whichget created and destroyed, but universal consciousness itself is unborn and undying. Just imagine if all the millions of forms which have been created were still here - how could other forms becreated? It is because consciousness is unborn and undying that the millions of forms get createdand destroyed; it is a continuous process. Understand that what you are is this unlimited universalconsciousness. Only that in which consciousness manifests itself is limited and is created anddestroyed. The total potential of consciousness remains. It is unlimited.You are seeking knowledge from the standpoint of identification with the body and whatever can be grasped by the mind. When this body machine is there, the technique of using it is there, andthat is what you are identifying with now, but it is not your true identity. You have no control over it, it has appeared and it will disappear.I talk to you from the perspective of the universal consciousness and I know that all bodies arethe essence of food and that they will vanish.

January
Questioner:
Every time something happens now, instead of getting involved in it, I am seeing that everything is that "I Amness". I am experiencing that.
Maharaj:
Witnessing takes place, there is nothing to be done. It is total freedom for one who doesnot identify with the body.
Q:
Everything is happening on its own and I have no concern with it.
M:
If that is so, it means that you have understood everything and there is no need for you to linger here any longer.
Questioner
[Another person]:
It is different for me. I have to make an effort not to get involved inthoughts when I meditate.
M:
It is the nature of the life force to express itself through thoughts and words, so they will keepon coming. If you have to make an effort in the beginning not to get involved, make that effort untilit becomes effortless.
Q:
Does the jnani have a mind and thoughts also?
M:
Although thoughts come and go, the jnani is not concerned. Thoughts will come inconsciousness; witnessing also takes place in consciousness. You must have the conviction that youare consciousness Thereafter there is nothing for you to do; leave it to the consciousness to do whatis to be done. Whatever happens, happens spontaneously.
Q:
Where is the seat of consciousness?
M:
In every particle of the juice of the body. In the scriptural books it is normally given that thereare various
chakras.
Those are available if you want to locate them like that, but according to me, itis throughout the body.
Q:
What is the difference between the body and consciousness?
M:
What is the difference between sugar and sweetness? The sweetness is there in the sugar cane juice. In the body the sweetness is the knowledge you are, the consciousness. This knowingness isdue to what? What is the prerequisite for consciousness?
Q:
Is it the body?
M:
The body is necessary to sustain consciousness; for the body to be, food is necessary, is it not?
Q:
Yes.
M:
If the body does not remain, consciousness will not remain. In the absence of body andconsciousness, what are you?
Q:
I don't know.
M:
Now you want to get some benefit, some advantage, for yourself. To whom is the benefit?
Q:
Consciousness.
M:
If you are not the body or the consciousness, then what are you? When you realize the Self-knowledge, then the self is released, liberated.
Q:
Then what?
M:
Then you know, definitely, who you are. That by which you know, you know that, also.
Q:
Is that liberation?
M:
Liberation means what? It is no more there. [Flicking his cigarette lighter on and off] Thiscigarette lighter is the body; the consciousness is the flame. Now it isn't there anymore; it isliberated. Where is the need to label it in the absence of consciousness?

January 8, 1981
Maharaj:
Outwardly you can imitate a jnani, but the jnani has no fear.
Questioner:
He is the Ultimate?
M:
The Ultimate state is that state in which there is a total end to this body, name and form. Whenthere is no form, shape, color or name, who is there to ask anything?Whatever happens, you accept it based on your identity with the body, and the body is time- bound.
Q:
I have experienced that it is not being.
M:
What do you understand by the experience? What is the significance of the experience?
Q:
It is not an experience of anybody.
M:
Any experience occurs where there is a change. If there is no change, there can be noexperience.
Q:
It is not an experience, it is a state of being -non-being.
M:
That which you say is and is not, is it according to words, or is it an experience? I will not playhide-and-seek with words. That which you are describing, is it an experience or just the words?It is likely that you have been influenced by what you have read and heard and therefore whatyou are saying is only what you have heard. Is that right, or is what you are saying a practicalexperience which you have had?
Q:
I said before, it is not anybody's experience.
M:
First I thought I was the body, then I experienced that I was not the body but I was theconsciousness, then I got the experience that this consciousness is not really me, and there is noform, no individuality, no nothing. Is that your experience?
Q:
The experience is that there is no body, nothing, that I am and I am not.
M:
What is it that is no longer there?
Q:
The consciousness of the body. Now there is no more center, thoughts don't come from thecenter as a body.
M:
If thoughts don't come from your center as an individual body, then how do the thoughts come?Do you now identify yourself with the thoughts? Do you think the meaning of the thoughts and youare one and the same?
Q:
No.
M:
What has really transpired? What is the change?
Q:
The change is that the center in consciousness which was there is gone, the center "I Am" is gone.
M:
Tell me something about that center.
Q:
First there was a center of identification in the body and now I don't feel that. Now there is noborderline, now there is no particular entity.
M:
"I Am" means the knowledge you are.
Q:
That is now unlimited.
M:
The knowledge "I Am" has no limitation at all?
Q:
That is right. Thank you. Now I must go.
M:
When he talks, saying "I am doing this" or "I am doing that," what he means is, I am thatknowledge "I Am"; that is, consciousness. Because unless the consciousness is there, the body isnot. In deep sleep we are not aware of the body, we are aware of the body only when we are awakeand the consciousness is there. Therefore when I say this, I mean that it is this consciousness whichI am and not the body, which comes later.This sickness is an aspect of the consciousness and I am not the consciousness. I am not the "IAmness". Whatever sickness is there is in the domain of consciousness. With the aid of consciousness, sickness is being experienced. When I shall be totally in my Ultimate state, whenthis consciousness is finally extinguished, THAT is my total, perfect state.When will I have no experience of this illness? Just as the sun sets, only when thisconsciousness sets will there be perfect health or no experience of this sickness. So long as theconsciousness is there the sickness must be experienced. What is my pleasure or happiness? Nothing other than this knowledge "I Am", this consciousness.Your idea of knowledge is something you can catch hold of, something you can feel and putinto your pocket. This knowledge is not of that kind. When I know that I am knowledge itself, whatcan I hope to get?

January 9, 1981
Questioner:
What are thoughts?
Maharaj:
They are the result of previous conditioning which the mind has had.
Q:
Are the thoughts of the jnani and the ignorant one different from one another?
M:
The difference is that the jnani has divorced himself from the body-mind, the body-mindthoughts will come and go but the jnani is not concerned; whereas, the ignorant one gets involved inthose thoughts and the ignorant one considers himself as a name and a form.
Q:
Should I keep in mind constantly that I am consciousness only?
M:
You are consciousness and consciousness is you and that's it; it is not necessary to always keepyour attention on that fact. When you know that this is your finger, is it necessary to constantlyrepeat that it is your finger? What is there to be done?
Q:
When an action must be done or a choice made, how should one make the choice?
M:
Just understand that it is not your personal action or choice. Do not get involved as the doer.Why do you get involved in all these concepts? First find out what you consider yourself to be.Are you an entity? Get that problem solved instead of getting involved in all kinds of concepts.What are you? You cannot understand with your intellect, it is beyond the grasp of the intellect.

January 11, 1981
Questioner:
The spiritual experiences which I have, are they something which should not be there?What is it?
Maharaj:
It is all entertainment. You are present here; is your body not the result of someone'sentertainment? So long as you know that the experiences are only appearances in consciousness, itis all right.Understanding is not a matter of time. If you really apperceive the truth, it is simple andquickly grasped.The conscious presence depends on the body, and the body is nothing but the sperm and ovum,so where is this "you?" This body is like an instrument that says, "I Am", like an announcer.Presently you think that you are the body-mind, and whatever concepts you have collected areflowing out. When you begin spirituality, you reject the body-mind with "I am not that." Then youcome to the "I Am" only, without words. Then you are everything, you are not confined to the body.Because of the instrument of the body, that feeling of consciousness is there and I, theAbsolute, am not that.Having stabilized in the consciousness, the next step is to be in a position to observe theconsciousness, and all the play that is happening in the consciousness, just to understand.Attachment to the body and to the consciousness is very strong, to get rid of it is very difficult.The birth principle, the chemical around which the body formation takes place, has no form or design and actually didn't exist. That non-existing thing suddenly came into existence. What is thevalidity of its existence? It is an apparition only, it can't be the truth. That's why I dare talk like this.This is a big hoax, a big fraud, created out of nothingness. Can you create something out of nothing?Whatever I said is securely planted in that birth principle of yours, you cannot extract it. In duecourse it will proliferate into knowledge.I don't want life, even for a moment, but in that momentary life there are so many lives.I am not afraid of death. With death the imperfection is removed. Consciousness, the stigma of imperfection is gone. What remains is total perfection.There is no guarantee that I will meet you tomorrow, but the reality is that there is noseparation at all between you and me, because we are one. Do not imagine any separation.

January 12, 1981
Maharaj:
[Referring to his lighter] The flame will last as long as the fuel is there. Is there anyquestion of emancipation or awakening for that flame? The body and consciousness, which comeinto being because of the five elements, can there be any emancipation for them? The One who is prior to the appearance of the elements is always there.What you are doing is using your mind and intellect, but what I say is not based on theintellect, but rather on whatever comes up spontaneously in consciousness. You try to fix thatknowledge which springs spontaneously from consciousness into the structure of concepts you have built out of the mind and intellect. This can never happen.
Questioner:
Why do I feel such satisfaction here in Maharaj's presence?
M:
Because that need which arises in consciousness and brings you here is satisfied.Some people come here for knowledge. I talk because the words naturally come out. There isno intention behind my talks that you should get knowledge. Others come here because they are indifficulties. I make no determination that those difficulties should go away, but the fact remains thatin many cases they do go away. I merely sit here, people come and go, I am not concerned. Theycome here from long distances because the consciousness feels the need to come here. Theindividual doesn't come here because of an intellectual decision to come here. Consciousness takeshim by the ear and brings him here. My next-door neighbors don't come but people from all cornersof the world come here with a sense of urgency. Why?
Q:
The first time I came here, Maharaj told me that my "I Amness" was a food product, and that  Lord Krishna's consciousness was the same as a donkey's consciousness. I tried to get a reservationout of Bombay that day, but I couldn't get one for a week, and I had to stay.
M:
Many talented and well-known people have come here, but they come with great humility. Isthere anyone of them who has knowledge about himself?
Q:
I am practicing nama-japa, is that all right?
M:
Recite the sacred name, that is all right, but the important thing is to recognize and understandwhat is the presiding principle by which you know you are and by which you perceive everythingelse. You must look at yourself, get to know yourself. The riddle of spirituality cannot be solved byyour intellect. At the most, your intellect can provide you with livelihood.Whatever you try to become, that is not you. Before the words come out, before you say "IAm", that is you. You must be concerned only with yourself. Don't worry about anybody else. Whatare you?  .......................

Âû çäåñü » Ê âîïðîñàì î ñàìîðåàëèçàöèè » Òåêñòû è âèäåî íà àíãëèéñêîì ÿçûêå » English texts. (òî, ÷åãî íåò â ïåðåâîäå íà ðóññêèé)