Ê âîïðîñàì î ñàìîðåàëèçàöèè

Îáúÿâëåíèå

Ôîðóì ïåðååõàë ----> http://selfrealization.info

Èíôîðìàöèÿ î ïîëüçîâàòåëå

Ïðèâåò, Ãîñòü! Âîéäèòå èëè çàðåãèñòðèðóéòåñü.

Âû çäåñü » Ê âîïðîñàì î ñàìîðåàëèçàöèè » Òåêñòû è âèäåî íà àíãëèéñêîì ÿçûêå » English texts. (òî, ÷åãî íåò â ïåðåâîäå íà ðóññêèé)

English texts. (òî, ÷åãî íåò â ïåðåâîäå íà ðóññêèé)

Ñîîáùåíèé 51 ñòðàíèöà 60 èç 79

http://uploads.ru/i/I/2/H/I2Hlu.jpg

Remembering Nisargadatta Maharaj

Page 4

Harriet: From what you are saying, I get the feeling that Maharaj had a great respect for the foreigners who came because they came looking for the truth about themselves, not for some palliative, a practice or belief that would keep them happy for a while.

David: In one sense, yes. I did hear him say a couple of times that he respected the fact that we had all abandoned our lives in the West in order to come to India in search of liberation, but that didn't mean that in practice he treated us respectfully. We all got shouted at on various occasions, and we all got told off from time to time because of things we did or said. We were all a little fearful of him because we never knew when the next eruption would come. We had all come to have the dirt beaten out of us, in the same way that the dhobis clean clothes by smashing them on rocks. Maharaj smashed our egos, our minds and our concepts on the immovable rock of the Self because he knew that in most cases that was the only way to help us.

I told you a few minutes ago that Maharaj discounted all theories of reincarnation, but he did tell one story that possibly indicated that we had all been searching for God in India before.

'At the end of the Ramayana,' he said, 'all the animals who had helped Ram to win the war were given rewards. The monkeys were all told that they could go to a monkey heaven. Now, what is heaven to a monkey? Vast quantities of food, lots of fighting, and limitless sex. So, all the monkeys were reborn as human beings in the West in the twentieth century to experience their idea of "heaven". After some time, though, they all began to get bored of all this excess. One by one, they all started coming back to India because they wanted to find Ram and be with him again.'

Harriet: What did he shout at you for?

David: I remember one time trying to talk to him about effort. I think I was talking about the various efforts I had made to realise the Self. This was soon after I started going to see him. I didn't realise at the time that the word 'effort' was a no-no in that room. He really didn't like anyone using it. The idea that there was a person who did something to achieve some spiritual state was a complete anathema to him. He seemed to feel that it showed a complete lack of understanding of his teachings.

When he started to get annoyed with me for using the word, I just ploughed ahead, thinking innocently that he probably hadn't understood what I was trying to say. The more I attempted to describe my 'efforts' and justify them, the more annoyed he got with me. I ended up getting an earful about my wrong understanding and wrong attitude. I was quite taken aback at the time. I had never come across a teacher before who disparaged hard work and effort on the spiritual path. On the contrary, all the others I had encountered had heartily endorsed such activities. That's why I initially thought that there must have been some kind of misunderstanding. I realised later that when Maharaj spoke, he wasn't giving instructions that he wanted you to act on. He was simply telling you who and what you were. You were supposed to understand and experience what he was talking about, not turn it into a practice. Making a practice out of it simply confirmed for him that you hadn't really understood what he was saying. One question that always rubbed him up the wrong way was, 'Yes, Maharaj, I understand intellectually what you are saying, but what do I do to actually experience it?' If you said that, you didn't understand him, or what he was trying to do, at all.

I have an embarrassing memory of another time he got angry with me. One afternoon my attention was wandering and my mind was embroiled in some larger-than-life ego fantasy. I was off in my own little world, not really listening to what was going on. Maharaj stopped the answer he was giving to someone else, apparently in mid-sentence, turned to me and started shouting at me, demanding to know whether I was listening and understanding what he was saying. I did a little prostration as an apology and put my attention back on what he was talking about. Afterwards, a few people wanted to know why he had suddenly launched such a ferocious attack on me. So far as they were concerned I was just sitting there minding my own business. I definitely deserved that one, though. In retrospect I can say that it increased both my attentiveness and my faith in him. When you know that the teacher in front of you is continuously monitoring all your thoughts and feelings, it makes you clean up your mental act quite a bit.

On another occasion Maharaj got angry with me simply because one of the translators didn't understand what I had asked. I said that the previous day he had said one thing, whereas this morning he was saying what appeared to be the exact opposite. The translator somehow assumed I was criticising the quality of the translation on the previous day and passed on my critique to Maharaj. He really got angry with me over that, but that one just bounced off me because I realised immediately that it was all due to a misunderstanding. Someone eventually told the translator what I had actually said, and he apologized for all the trouble his comments had caused.

Harriet: Were the translators all good? I have been told that some were better than others.

David: Yes, there were good ones and not-so-good ones. I think everyone knew who was good and who was not, but that didn't result in the good ones being called on to do the work if they happened to be there. There seemed to be some process of seniority at work. The translators who had been there the longest were called on first, irrespective of ability, and those who might have done a better job would have to wait until these more senior devotees were absent. When I first went a man called Sapre did most of the morning translations. He was very fluent and seemed to have a good grasp of Maharaj's teachings, but he interpolated a lot of his own stuff in his English answers. Two sentences from Maharaj might turn into a two-minute speech from Sapre. Even though most of us didn't know any Marathi, we knew that he must be making up a lot of his stuff simply because he was talking for so long. Several people complained to Maharaj about this, but he always supported Sapre and generally got angry with the people who complained about him. That was the cause of the outburst I just mentioned. Maharaj thought I was yet another person complaining about Sapre's translations.

Mullarpattan was next down the pecking order. I liked him because he was very literal. Possibly not quite as fluent as some of the others, but he scored points with me because he stuck to the script both ways. I once asked Maharaj a question through him, and when the answer came back, it made absolutely no sense at all. Mullarpattan, though, was beaming at me as if he had just delivered some great pearl of wisdom.

I thought about it again and it still made no sense, so I said, somewhat apologetically, 'I don't understand any of that answer. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.'

'I know,' replied Mullarpattan, 'it didn't make any sense to me either. But that's what Maharaj said and that's what I translated.'

Somewhat relieved, I asked him to tell Maharaj that neither of us had understood what he had said and requested him to explain the topic a little differently. Then we got on with the conversation.

I really respected Mullarpattan for this. He didn't try to put some sense into the answer, and he didn't tell Maharaj that his answer didn't make any sense. He just translated the words for me in a literal way because those were the words that Maharaj had intended me to hear.

Right at the bottom, in terms of seniority anyway, was Ramesh Balsekar. He didn't come to see Maharaj until some point in 1978. I thought this was unfortunate because in my opinion, and in the opinion of many of the other foreigners there, he was by far the most skilful of all the translators. He had a good understanding of the way foreign minds worked and expressed themselves, and a good enough intellect and memory to remember and translate a five-minute rambling monologue from a visitor. He was so obviously the best, many of us would wait until it was his turn to translate. That meant there were occasionally some long, embarrassing silences when the other translators were on duty. Everyone was waiting for them to be absent so that Balsekar could translate for them.

All the translators had their own distinctive style and their own distinctive phrases. When I read Jean Dunne's books in the 1980s I was transported back into Maharaj's room because I would be hearing the words, not just reading them. I would look at a couple of lines, recognise Mullarpattan's style, or whoever else it happened to be, and from then on I would hear the words in my mind as if they were coming out of the translator's mouths.

Harriet: So all these books are simply a transcription of what the interpreter said on the day of the talk. They are not translations of the original Marathi?

David: I don't know about the other books, but I know that's what Jean did. For a couple of weeks I spent the afternoon in her flat, which was near Chowpatthy Beach. On that particular visit, my own place was too far away, so I just slept there at night. Jean was doing transcriptions for Seeds of Consciousness at the time and she would occasionally ask for my help in understanding difficult words on the tape, or she would ask for an opinion on whether a particular dialogue was worth including. I know from watching her work and from reading her books later that she was working with the interpreter's words only.

Harriet: Did she ask Maharaj if she could do this work? How did she get this job?

David: From what I remember, it was the other way round. He asked her to start doing the work. This created a bit of resentment amongst some of the Marathi devotees, some of whom thought they had the rights to Maharaj's words. There was an organisation, a Kendra that had been set up in his name to promote him and his teachings, and certain members seemed a bit miffed that they had been left out of this decision. One of them came to the morning session and actually said to Maharaj that he (i.e. the visitor) alone had the right to publish Maharaj's words because he was the person in the Kendra who was responsible for such things. I thought that this was an absurd position to take: if you set up an organization to promote the teachings of your Guru, and your Guru then appoints someone to bring out a book of his teachings, the organization should try to help not hinder the publication. Maharaj saw things the same way.

In his usual blunt way he said, 'I decide who publishes my teachings, not you. It's nothing to do with you. I have appointed this woman to do the job and you have no authority to veto that decision.'

The man left and I never saw him again.

Harriet: Did you never feel tempted to write about Maharaj yourself? You seem to have written about all the other teachers you have been with.

David: On one of my early visits Maharaj asked me what work I did at Ramanasramam. I told him that I looked after the ashram's library and that I also did some book reviewing for the ashram's magazine.

He gave me a strong look and said, 'Why don't you write about the teachings?'

I remember being a little surprised at the time because at that point of my life I hadn't written a single word about Ramana Maharshi or any other teacher. And what is more, I had never felt any interest or inclination in doing so. Maharaj was the first person to tell me that this was what I should be doing with my life.

As for writing about Maharaj, the opportunity never really arose. In the years that I was visiting him, I wasn't doing any writing at all, and in the 80s and 90s I had lots of other projects and topics to occupy myself with.

Harriet: You have some good stories to tell, and some interesting interpretations of what you think Maharaj was trying to do with people. I am finding all this interesting, and I am sure other people would if you took the trouble to write it down.

David: Yes, as I have been talking about all these things today, a part of me has been saying, 'You should write this down'. The feeling has been growing as I have talking to you. After you leave, maybe I will start and try to see how much I can remember.

Harriet: I suppose we should have talked about this much earlier, but how did you first come to hear of Maharaj, and what initially attracted you to him?

David: Sometime in 1977 I gave a book, Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, by Chogyam Trunga, to a friend of mine, Murray Feldman, and said that he would probably enjoy reading it. I knew he had had a background in Buddhism and had done some Tibetan practices, so I assumed he would like it. He responded by giving me a copy of I am That, saying that he was sure that I would enjoy it. Murray had known about Maharaj for years and had even been to see him when Maurice Frydman was a regular visitor. I remember Murray's vivid description of the two of them together: two old men having intensely animated discussions during which they would both get so heated and excited, they would be having nose-to-nose arguments, with lots of raised voices and arm waving. He had no idea what they were talking about, but he could feel the passion from both sides. In those days, if you visited Maharaj, you were likely to be the only person there. You would get a cup of tea and a very serious one-on-one discussion, with no one else present.

A few years later I heard Maharaj say, 'I used to have a quiet life, but I am That has turned my house into a railway station platform'.

Anyway, back to the story. I am digressing before I have even started. I went through the book and I have to admit that I had some resistance to many of the things Maharaj said. I was living at Ramanasramam at the time and practicing Bhagavan's teachings. There were clear similarities between what Maharaj was saying and what Bhagavan had taught, but I kept tripping over the dissimilarities: statements that the 'I am' was not ultimately real, for example. However, the book slowly grew on me, and by the end I was hooked. In retrospect I think I would say that the power that was inherent in the words somehow overcame my intellectual resistance to some of the ideas.

I went back to the book again and again. It seemed to draw me to itself, but whenever I picked it up, I found I couldn't read more than a few pages at a time. It was not that I found it boring, or that I disagreed with what it was saying. Rather, there was a feeling of satisfied satiation whenever I went through a few paragraphs. I would put the book down and let the words roll around inside me for a while. I wasn't thinking about them or trying to understand them or wondering if I agreed with them. The words were just there, at the forefront of my consciousness, demanding an intense attention.

I think that it was the words and the teachings that initially fascinated me rather than the man himself because in the first few weeks after I read the book I don't recollect that I had a very strong urge to go to see him. However, all that changed when some of my friends and acquaintances started going to Bombay to sit with him. All of them, without exception, came back with glowing reports. And it wasn't just their reports that impressed me. Some of them came back looking absolutely transfigured. I remember an American woman called Pat who reappeared radiant, glowing with some inner light, after just a two-week visit.

Papaji used to tell a story about a German girl who went back to Germany and was met by her boyfriend at the airport. The boyfriend, who had never met Papaji and who had never been to India, prostrated full length on the airport floor at her feet.

He told her afterwards, 'I couldn't help myself. You had undergone such an obvious illuminating transformation, I felt compelled to do it.'

I know how he felt. I never prostrated to any of the people who had come back from Bombay, but I could recognise the radical transformations that many of them had undergone. Even so, I think it was several months before I decided to go and see for myself what was going on in Bombay.

Harriet: What took so long? What made you wait?

David: Something has just surfaced in my memory, something I haven't thought about for years. After reading I am That a few times, I developed a great faith in Maharaj's state and power. I knew he was the real thing. I knew that if I went to see him I would accept any advice that he gave me. Around that time I heard reports that a couple of foreigners I knew had been to see him, and that he had advised them both to go back to their respective countries. This alarmed me a bit. I was very attached to being in Tiruvannamalai, and I definitely didn't want to go back to the West. Something inside me knew that if Maharaj told me to go back to England, I would go. I didn't want to leave India, so I held off going to see him for a few months.

There was another unresolved issue. I wasn't sure at that point whether or not I needed a human Guru. The Ramanasramam party line has always been that Bhagavan can be the Guru for everyone, even people who never met him while he was alive. I seem to remember having a knowledge of all the places in the Ramanasramam books and in I am That where the subject of Gurus came up. I would read them quite often, without ever coming to a final conclusion about whether I needed a human Guru or not.

Harriet: So what made you finally overcome your resistance to going to Bombay?

David: An Australian woman, who had been before, suggested we go, and I agreed. I always knew I would go sooner or later. I just needed a push to get me going, and this invitation was it. I am trying to remember when it was. I think it was the middle of 1978, but I can't be more accurate than that.

Harriet: What were your first impressions? What happened when you arrived?

David: I remember sitting in his room, waiting for him to come upstairs. I was very nervous and apprehensive, but I can't remember why. I recollect trying to start a conversation with the man sitting next to me, but he asked me to be quiet so that he could meditate.

Maharaj came in and a few minutes later I found myself sitting in front of him, telling him who I was and why I had come. It was an afternoon session and not many people were there. Since I was the only new person present, he called me up to find out who I was and what I wanted.

I explained that I had come from Ramanasramam, that I had spent two years there, and that I had been practising Bhagavan's teachings on self-enquiry fairly intensively. At this period of my life I often used to meditate eight hours a day, although by the time I met Maharaj this was beginning to tail off a bit.

Maharaj eventually asked me if I had any questions and I replied, 'Not now. I just want to sit and listen to you for a while.'

He accepted this and allowed me to disappear to the back of the room. I should say at this point that I had already felt the power and the peace of his presence in the room. It was something very tangible.

Harriet: Did you go there with questions that you wanted to ask him? Was there anything that you wanted to talk to him about?

David: I really can't remember. I knew I would end up talking to him, but I didn't have any particular burning question.

Harriet: How long did it take for you to summon up the courage to start a dialogue with him?

David: I think it was the next day, in the afternoon session. That means I must have sat through two full sessions, just listening to what other people had to say, and to what Maharaj had to say to them.

Eventually, when there was a lull in the conversation I asked, 'I have been doing self-enquiry, trying to keep attention on the inner feeling of "I", for several years, but no matter how intensively I try to do it, I don't find that my attention stays on the "I" for more than a few seconds. There doesn't seem to be an improvement in my ability to keep my attention on this inner feeling of "I". Do the periods of being aware of the "I" have to get longer and longer until they become more or less continuous?'

'No,' he replied, 'just having the strong urge to seek this "I" and investigate it is enough. Don't worry about how well or how long you are holding onto it. The strong desire to know the "I" will keep taking you back to it when your attention strays. If something is important to you, it keeps coming up in your mind. If knowing the "I" is important to you, you will find yourself going back to it again and again.'

After that I think I talked to him almost every day, mostly about various aspects of his teachings on consciousness. He seemed to encourage questions from me, and I always enjoyed quizzing him. However, the exact details of the questions and answers seem to have slipped through the cracks of my memory.   ...............

http://uploads.ru/i/4/m/b/4mbxo.jpg

Page 5

Harriet: All this talk about Ramana Maharshi has reminded me of something else that I wanted to ask. We started off this afternoon with a question about why Maharaj isn't the topic of memoirs, at least book length ones. A few people have written short accounts, but I have never come across a full-length book about living with him. Many of the Ramana Maharshi books are filled with stories of miraculous events that seemed to be taking place around him. Many of his devotees tell stories of how faith in Bhagavan changed their lives or somehow, in an improbable way, transformed their destiny. I know that Bhagavan himself disowned all personal responsibility for these events, but that didn't stop people writing them down and attributing them to Bhagavan's grace.

I suppose my question is, did similar things happen around Maharaj, and if they did, why did no one ever bother to write them down?

David: I don't know how common such events were, but I know that they did happen. And if similar things did happen to other people, I really don't know why those who know about these events don't want to write them down.

Let me redress the balance by telling one very long and very lovely story.

At some point in the late 1970s I was asked to take a South American woman called Anna-Marie to Bombay and look after her because she hardly spoke a word of English. Her native language was Spanish and I think she lived in Venezuela, but I have a vague memory that this wasn't her nationality. I was planning to go to Bombay anyway to see Maharaj, so I agreed to take her and look after her. Very early on in our journey – we were still in Madras – I realised that I had been given a bit of a basket case to look after. Anna-Marie was completely incapable of looking after herself, and was incredibly forgetful. Before we had even managed to get on the train to Bombay, she managed to lose all her money and her passport. By retracing our steps, we eventually tracked them down to a bookstore near the station. Miraculously, the manager had found the purse and had kept it with him in case we came back looking for it.

A few hours into our train journey from Madras to Bombay Anna-Marie went to the bathroom. On Indian trains that means a squat toilet which is just a hole in the floor with footrests on either side of it. Anna-Marie was sitting there, doing her business, when the train jolted on the tracks. Her glasses fell off and disappeared down the hole in the floor. It turned out to be her only pair, and without them she was more or less blind. I realised this later in the day when we stopped at a station further down the line. Anna-Marie was standing on the platform when the train started to pull out of the station. She made no move to get on. When I realised what was happening, I jumped off and pushed her onto the moving train. I had already realised that she was having trouble seeing things, but I didn't realise how bad things really were until I discovered that she couldn't see a moving train, with about twenty-five carriages, that was about ten feet in front of her. I knew that my first priority, once we got to Bombay, would be to get her a new pair of glasses. I remembered that there was an optician quite near to Maharaj's house. I had noticed it on previous trips while I was waiting to catch a bus to go downtown.

Early the next morning, as soon as the shop opened, I took her in to get her eyes tested and to get her some glasses. The test took a long time, partly because of Anna-Marie's deficiency in English, and partly because the optician couldn't work out what her prescription was.

After about half an hour he came out and said, 'She needs to go to a specialist eye hospital. I can't find out with my instruments here what her prescription might be. There is something seriously wrong with her eyes, but I don't know what it is. Take her to "Such and Such" Eye Hospital.'

Whatever the name was, I had never heard of it. He started to give me directions, but since I didn't know Bombay, I wasn't able to follow them. This was when the first 'miracle' of the day happened. It was to be the first of many.

'Don't worry,' said the optician, 'I'll take you there myself.'

He closed his store – there were no assistants to man the counter while we were away – and we set off on a walk across Bombay. We must have walked over a mile before we finally arrived at the hospital. He took us to the office of an eye surgeon he knew there and explained that his instruments were not sophisticated enough to work out what was wrong with Anna-Marie's eyes. He then left us and went back to his store. I have encountered many acts of kindness in all the years I have been in India, but I still marvel at this shop owner who closed down his store for a couple of hours and then went on a two-mile round-trip walk just to help us out.

The eye surgeon set to work on Anna-Marie's eyes. Even he was impressed by how complicated her eyes were. He tried her out on several machines and gadgets, but like the optician before him, he failed to come up with a prescription.

'What is wrong with this woman?' he asked. 'How did she end up with eyes like these?'

I shrugged my shoulders. 'I have no idea. I barely know her and she hardly speaks any English.'

We went off to a different part of the hospital that, to my untrained eye, seemed to have bigger and fancier machines. This new combination of equipment finally came up with a reading for Anna-Marie. Our curiosity had been piqued by this long complicated process so we tried through sign language and the few English words she knew to discover how Anna-Marie's eyes had come to be so peculiar. After a few false starts she realised what we were asking. It turned out that she had fallen out of a building in South America and had landed on her face. Having watched her behaviour and activities in the previous two days, I found this to be an entirely believable scenario. I don't think I have ever come across someone who was so accident-prone.

Her eyes had been damaged in the fall and had been stitched in various places. As a result of this surgery there were places on the eyeball that had a very eccentric curvature. This accounted for the first optician's inability to work out what she needed. Even the big eye hospital took almost an hour to figure out what she needed.

I got to talking to the eye surgeon and discovered that we had a mutual acquaintance in Tiruvannamalai. In fact, he knew quite a few of Bhagavan's devotees. Like the optician before him, he decided to take us under his wing.

'Where will you go to get this prescription fulfilled?' he asked.

'Well, the first man we went to, the one who brought us here, was very helpful to us. I would like to go back to him to give him the business since he was so kind to us.'

'No, no,' said the surgeon, 'he only has a little shop. He won't be able to fulfill an order like this. It is too complicated. I will take you to the biggest optician in Bombay.'

He too closed down his office and took us on another trip across Bombay. As we walked through the front door of the store he was taking us to, everyone jumped to attention. He was clearly a very respected figure in the eye world.

'These are my friends,' he announced, waving at us. 'They have a difficult prescription to fulfill. Please do it as quickly as possible because this woman can't see anything without glasses. She is virtually blind.'

He left us in the hands of the manager of the store and went back to the hospital. The manager's big, beaming smile lasted as long as it took him to read the prescription. He put it down on the counter and started to talk to us very apologetically.

'Normally, we keep lenses for every possible prescription here in the store. We have a huge turnover, so we can afford to make and keep lenses that we have no customers for. Sooner or later somebody will come and buy them, and everyone appreciates the fact that they can get what they want on the spot, without having to wait for anything to be made. But this prescription is such a ridiculous combination, no one would ever think of making it or keeping it. Until I saw it myself I would have guessed that nobody in the world had eyes that corresponded with these numbers. We will have to make a special order and that will take a long time because the glass grinders are out on strike at the moment. Even if they go back to work, it will probably be weeks before we can get them to make an order like this because they already have a lot of pending orders. I'm sorry, I can't help you, and nobody else in the city will be able to help you either because this prescription is just too unusual for anyone to stock.'

This apology took about five minutes to deliver. While it was going on one of the boys from the store, who obviously didn't know any English, picked up the paper and went to the storeroom to look for the lenses. That was his job: to pick up the prescriptions from the front office and find the corresponding lenses in the storeroom. Just as the manager was coming to his conclusion, the boy reappeared with two lenses that exactly corresponded to the numbers on the prescription. The manager was absolutely flabbergasted.

'This is not possible,' he kept saying. 'No one would make and keep lenses like these.'

He finally adjusted the impossibility by saying that someone must have ordered these lenses long ago and had forgotten to collect them.

Because we had been declared friends of the great and famous eye surgeon – we had only known him for about two hours – we were given a massive discount and about half an hour later Anna-Marie walked out of the store wearing what I was absolutely convinced was the only pair of spectacles on planet earth that she could actually see the world through. Now, was there a miracle in there, or were we just the fortunate recipients of an amazingly serendipitous sequence of events?

'I' decided to pick the initial optician who agrees to close down his store and take us to the one eye surgeon in town who happens to be interested in Ramana, who then takes us, against my wishes, to the only store in Bombay where lenses can be found for Anna-Marie. I am a bit of a sceptic, and in my jaundiced opinion there are too many good things in that sequence to be attributed to chance alone.

My own belief is that when you go to the Guru, the power of that Guru takes care of any physical problems that may arise. He doesn't do it knowingly; there is just an aura around him that takes care of all these problems. We never even told Maharaj about Anna-Marie's glasses. When we set off that morning, I just assumed that she had fairly normal eyes and that within half an hour or so we would be able to buy some glasses that would bring the world into focus.

This was not the end of the story. I told you it was a long one. Anna-Marie was sitting with Maharaj every day for about a week, but of course, she couldn't understand a word of what was going on. There was no one there who spoke Spanish. Then, one morning, she appeared very red-eyed and I asked her what was the matter.

'I was up all night,' she said, in very broken English, 'praying for a Spanish translator to come today. There is something I have to tell Maharaj, and I need a translator to do it.'

Later that morning, as we were all sitting in a café on Grant Road in the interval between the end of the bhajans and the beginning of the question-and-answer session, we noticed a new foreign face at an adjoining table – a woman who was reading a copy of I am That. We introduced ourselves and discovered that, surprise, surprise, she was a professional Spanish-English translator who worked in Bombay and who had recently come across Maharaj's teachings. She had decided in a general sort of way to come and visit Maharaj, but only that morning did her general urge translate into positive action. Anna-Marie, of course, was over the moon. The translator she had spent all night praying for had miraculously manifested on the next table to her about fifteen minutes before the question-and-answer session started.

We all went back to Maharaj's room, curious to find out what Anna-Marie wanted to say to him. This is more or less what she had to say via the translator.

'I was living in Venezuela when I had a dream of a mountain and two men. I found out soon afterwards that one of the two men was Ramakrishna, but for a long time I didn't know who the other man was or what the mountain might be. Then, last year, I saw a photo of Ramana Maharshi and realised that this was the second man in the dream. When I did some research to find out more about him, I soon realised that the mountain in the dream was Arunachala. In the dream Ramana Maharshi looked at me in a very special way and transmitted a knowledge of his teachings to me. He didn't do it verbally. He just looked at me, and as he was looking, I just felt that he was filling me up with an understanding of his teachings, a knowledge that I could articulate quite clearly, even though no words had passed between us. I knew that I had to come to India to find out more about him. I persuaded a friend of mine to bring me here, even though I knew that Ramana Maharshi was no longer alive. I knew I had some business here and something was compelling me to come. While I was in Tiruvannamalai I heard about you, and I knew that I had to come and see you as well. That same compulsion that made me come to India to find out about Ramana Maharshi has made me come here as well. I don't know what it is, but I knew that I had to come.'

Maharaj interceded at this point: 'What were the teachings that were transmitted to you in the dream? What did Ramana Maharshi tell you as he was revealing his teachings in silence?'

Anna-Marie talked in Spanish for about five minutes without any translation being given by the interpreter. At the end of that period the translator begin to explain what she had said. We all sat there, absolutely dumbfounded. She gave a perfect and fluent five-minute summary of Maharaj's teachings. They were quite clearly not Ramana's teachings but Maharaj's, and this woman was giving a wonderful presentation of them. I think it was one of the best five-minute summaries of the teachings I had ever heard. And remember, this was from a woman who was on her first visit, someone who had had very little acquaintance with Maharaj's teachings before coming there that day.

Maharaj seemed to be as impressed as everyone else there. He stood up, took Anna-Marie downstairs and initiated her into the mantra of his lineage by writing it on her tongue with his finger. I mentioned earlier that he would volunteer to give out the mantra if anybody wanted it. If someone asked for it, he would ordinarily whisper it in his or her ear. This is the only case I know in which he gave out the mantra without being first asked, and it is the only instance I know of in which he wrote it with his finger on a devotee's tongue. What does all this mean? I have absolutely no idea. I have long since given up trying to guess or rationalise why Gurus do the things they do.

Harriet: That's a great story! So you would say that Maharaj was looking after the welfare of devotees, in the same way that other great Gurus were?

David: I would answer a conditional 'yes' to that question. 'Yes' because it is the nature of enlightened beings to be like this – they don't have any choice in the matter because these things go on around them automatically. However, on a more superficial level the answer might be 'no'. If people took their personal problems to him, he might get angry and say that it was none of his business. He didn't perceive himself as someone who dealt with individual people who had problems. I saw several people go to him to tell him that they had had all their money or their passport stolen, and his standard response was to tell them off for being careless. I told him once that I was worried about how much I was sleeping. At the time, though, I did think this was a legitimate spiritual question because I had read many teachers who had said that it was bad to sleep a lot.

His answer, though, was 'Why are you bringing your medical problems to me? If you think it is a problem, go and see a doctor.'

In that particular case his advice turned out to be perfectly correct. I discovered later that I was suffering from a major infestation of hookworm, almost certainly as a result of walking around India for years with no footwear. Hookworms eat red blood cells and if they get out of control, they eat more than the body can produce. Eventually, you get very anaemic, which means feeling tired and sleepy all the time. So, in this particular case, what appeared to be a cranky, dismissive answer was the most useful thing he could say. I would say that the Self put the right words into his mouth at the right moment, but at the time neither of us knew just how right they were.

Despite his generally irritable response when people went to him for personal help, I think he was fully aware that he was looking after all his devotees' well being, even though it may not have looked that way a lot of the time.

Harriet: Again, can you give me an example of this, or is this just guesswork?

David: I remember a large fat man from Madras who came to see Maharaj with what he said was a problem: 'I have been doing japa for many years and I have acquired siddhis as a result. If I am very pleased with someone, very good things happen to him or her automatically. I don't think about it or do anything. It just happens by itself. But if I get angry with someone, the opposite happens. Very bad things happen, and sometimes the person even dies. How can I stop these things from happening?'

Maharaj told him, 'All these siddhis have come on account of your japa. If you stop dong the japa, the siddhis will also stop.'

'I don't think I can do that,' replied the man. 'The japa has taken me over so completely, it is no longer voluntary. It just happens by itself whether I want it to or not.'

Maharaj repeated his advice, but the man wasn't interested in carrying it out. He looked very pleased with himself and I got the feeling that he had just come there to show off his accomplishments. My opinion was confirmed when he announced that he was now willing to answer questions from anyone in the room. He hadn't come there to receive advice, he had come to give it out.

Maharaj asked him to leave and said that if he was really interested in his teachings he could go in the evening to the house of one of his women devotees, a Sanskrit professor who sometimes did translations for him, and she would explain them to him. He was told not to come back to the room. I suspect that Maharaj wanted to keep him away from us because there was something strange and threatening about him. I am not a very psychic kind of person but I could definitely feel an unpleasant energy coming off this man. It was something that made me feel physically queasy. He really did have an aura of bad energy around him. I checked with some of the other people afterwards, and some of them had felt the same way.

All this took place in a morning session. That evening the Sanskrit professor showed up an hour late, looking very flustered. Maharaj immediately wanted to know what was going on.

'This man from Madras came to my house and I couldn't get him to leave. I told him that it was time for me to come here, but he wouldn't get up and go. I didn't really want to force him to go. He might have got angry with me, and then I might have died.'

Maharaj appeared to be outraged. He puffed out his chest like a fighting cock going into battle and announced, very angrily, 'No one can harm my devotees. You are under my protection. This man cannot do you any harm. If he comes to talk to you again, throw him out when it is time for you to come here. Nothing will happen to you.'

This was the only occasion when I heard Maharaj make a strong public declaration that he was protecting and looking after his devotees.

Maharaj himself had no fear of people like this. He told us once about a yogi who had come to his beedi shop to test his powers. This yogi apparently had many siddhis and he came to see if Maharaj, of whom he had heard great things, could match him. Maharaj just went about his business in the shop and refused all challenges to show off what he could do. Eventually, in an attempt to provoke him into doing something, the yogi said that he would curse him and make something very bad happen to him.

Maharaj apparently looked at him with complete unconcern and said, 'You may be able to pull down a thousand suns from the sky, but you can't harm me and you don't impress me. Now go away.'    ..............

http://uploads.ru/t/4/O/9/4O9Ab.jpg

Page 6

Harriet: What about you? Were there any instances when you felt that he was looking after you, taking care of your physical well being as well as your spiritual health?

David: There is nothing remotely as spectacular as Anna-Marie's visit, but I can tell you the story of one trip I made to see him. There are a few incidents on the way that are nothing to do with what you are asking, but by the time I get to the end, you will realise what it is all about.

In 1980 I wanted to see Maharaj but I had no money at all. I couldn't afford the train ticket, and I definitely couldn't afford to stay in Bombay for more than a day or two. I accepted an invitation to give a talk about Bhagavan at a seminar in Delhi on condition that I could come back via Bombay. My train ticket was paid for by the organisers, so that took care of the transport arrangements. My meagre funds would allow me two days in Bombay, so I booked the tickets according. In India you have to book your train tickets at least seven to ten days in advance in order to get the train you want.

I made my speech in Delhi and then took the train to Bombay. On the suburban train that ran from the main Bombay station to Grant Road I had all my money, my passport (actually a temporary travel document that was given to me while I waited for a new passport) and my onward train ticket stolen. It was a classic piece of work. There is always a crush as everyone piles into the carriage at the same time. In the general scrummaging someone managed to slit the bottom of my bag and remove my wallet. My first reaction was actually admiration. It had been such a slick, professional job. The slit was only about half an inch bigger than the size of the wallet, and the whole operation had been in carried out in a couple of seconds while I was trying to ensure that I got onto the train.

Fortunately, my local train ticket was in my shirt pocket. In those days there was a Rs 10 fine (about 20 cents US at today's rate) for ticketless travel, and I wouldn't have been able to pay it if I had been unable to produce a ticket at my destination. When I arrived at Grant Road, I didn't even have that much money to my name. I think I had just over a rupee in loose change in one of my trouser pockets. That constituted my entire worldly wealth. I walked to 10th Lane, Khetwadi, the alley where Maharaj lived and invested all my change in a cup of tea and a morning newspaper. It was very early in the morning and I knew that it would be a couple of hours before anyone I knew showed up. I didn't want to go in and tell Maharaj that I had been robbed because I had seen how he had reacted to other people in that situation. I was hoping to float a loan from someone I knew and then find a floor to sleep on, because without a passport, I wouldn't be able to check into a hotel.

Jean Dunne showed up around the time I expected and I told her what had happened. I knew her well because she had lived in Ramanasramam for a couple of years before she started to visit Maharaj in Bombay. She lent me a few hundred rupees, which I assumed would be enough to have a couple of days in Bombay and get back to Tiruvannamalai. I planned to go to the train station later that morning and get a new copy of my onward ticket issued. Maharaj, though, had other plans for me.

Someone told him that I had been robbed on the suburban train and I braced myself for the expected lecture. Instead, he was astonishingly sympathetic. He spoke to one of his attendants, a bank officer, and asked him to put me up for the duration of my visit. I ended up in a very nice house in quite a good area of Bombay. Quite a change from the bug-ridden lodges that I usually had to frequent. Later that morning I went to V. T. Station to get a new ticket. Much to my amazement, there was no record of my name on any of the trains that were leaving for Madras. In those days there were no computers; all bookings were made by hand in big ledgers. A very civilised and sympathetic railway official (you don't meet many of them when you are not on Guru business in India!) took a couple of hours off to pore over all the ledgers to find out the details of my ticket. There are about 750 people on each train and I think there were three or four trains leaving for Madras on the day that I planned to leave. After scanning over 2,000 names for me, he regretfully announced that I didn't have a reservation on any of the trains that were leaving that day. I began to suspect that some power wanted me to stay in Bombay because mistakes like this are very rare in the railway booking system. In the twenty-seven years I have been using the trains here, I have never ever arrived at a station and discovered that my booked ticket simply didn't exist. I had no alternative except to go and buy a new ticket, which I did with the funds I had borrowed from Jean. The next train with a vacant berth wasn't leaving for over two weeks, which meant that I had that much time to spend with Maharaj.

I had come with very little money, expecting a two-day flying visit. Instead, courtesy of Maharaj and a mysterious event in the railway booking office, I had a luxurious two-week stay in a devotee's house.

I made my way back to Maharaj's house and found that someone had told him about the talk on Ramana Maharshi's teachings I had given in Delhi a few days earlier. That was something else that I wanted to keep quiet about. Maharaj had strong views on unenlightened people giving public speeches about enlightenment. I had only agreed to do it so that I would have a chance of coming to see him, but I suspected that this wouldn't be a good enough excuse for him.

I discovered that he had found out about the talk because when I walked into his room he called me and asked me to come to the front of the room. I went up and sat facing him in the place where the questioners would usually sit.

'No, no,' he said, 'sit next to me, facing all the other people.'

My spirits sank. I knew that I wouldn't enjoy whatever he had in mind.

'Look at my little room,' he began. 'Only about thirty people come to listen to hear me speak. But David here has just been giving spiritual talks in Delhi. Hundreds of people apparently came to listen to him, so he must be much better at it than me. So today David will give a talk for us.'

This was worse than anything I could have imagined when he called me up. I tried unsuccessfully to wriggle out of his invitation, but when I realised that he wasn't going to back down, I gave a five-minute summary of the paper I had read out in Delhi. It was about the unity between the practices of surrender and self-enquiry in Bhagavan's teachings. One of the translators asked me to go slowly so that he could give a running translation for Maharaj. Through the duration of the talk Maharaj was glaring at me very intently. I think that he was waiting to pounce on me if I made some comment that he didn't agree with. I made it to the end of my summary without being interrupted by any scathing comments from Maharaj. I thought that this in itself was quite a major accomplishment.

After my conclusion he looked at me and said in a fairly mild tone, 'I can't quarrel with anything you said. Everything you said was correct.'

Then he fired himself up and said very strongly and forcefully, 'But don't go around giving talks about how to get enlightened unless you are in that state yourself. Otherwise, you will end up like that Wolter Keers.'

I have already told you what he thought of Wolter Keers and his teaching activities. That was a fate I was determined to avoid. All this took place twenty-three years ago. I haven't given a public talk since then.

I need to fast forward a bit here and get to the end of the story. I arrived back in Tiruvannamalai more than two weeks later. I had no income, no prospect of receiving any money from anyone, and I had a debt of several hundred rupees that I owed to Jean. I went to work the next morning in the ashram library and found an orange envelope on my desk with my name on it. I opened it and found a bundle of rupee notes inside. I counted them and discovered that it was exactly the same amount that had been stolen from me in Bombay: not a rupee more, not a rupee less. There was no mention of who had put the money there, and no one ever came forward to say that he or she was the person responsible. So far as I was aware, no one in Tiruvannamalai even knew about the theft. I hadn't told anyone, and I had been back in Tiruvannamalai less than twenty-four hours when the envelope appeared.

I think this whole episode was orchestrated by the power that looks after the affairs of devotees who have a strong urge to be with a Guru. This power took me to Bombay, stole my money and ticket, removed all traces of my booking from the railway ledgers, arranged excellent accommodation for me for more than two weeks, brought me back to Tiruvannamalai, where it then returned all my money to me via an anonymous donor.

Harriet: Where did you normally stay when you went to Bombay? What did other visiting devotees do for accommodation? Where did you all eat and sleep? I ask this because there was no ashram or centre where all of Maharaj's devotees could stay.

David: It depended on how well off you were. Bombay has always been an expensive place to live in. If you didn't have much money, your choice was very restricted. Some of my friends used to stay at a Buddhist ashram, but that involved participating in a lot of their rituals, which was something many of us didn't want to do because some of the timings clashed with Maharaj's sessions. There were some other cheap options that were either a long way away or which also involved participating in some activity you didn't want to, or submitting to strange rules that were not convenient. I avoided all these places and always stayed at a cheap lodge that was about 200 yards from Maharaj's house, on the same alley. It was called the Poornima, and many of us who were short of money ended up there. I seem to remember that it was Rs 22 for a double room, an amazing price for Bombay even in those days. A couple of streets away there was a place that served cheap lunches to local people who were working in the area. It was made of mud and there were no chairs or tables. However, you could get a great lunch there – chapattis, dhal, and vegetables – for Rs 1.40. I can't remember the exchange rate in those days. I think it may have been about twelve rupees to the dollar. That should give you some idea of the prices.

Maharaj would always ask where you were staying when you first went to see him. If you said 'Poornima' he knew you were either short of funds or being very careful about spending them. He clearly approved of people who didn't waste money, and who got good bargains when they went out shopping. He had spent his whole life being a businessman who knew the value of a rupee, and it irked him considerably to see foreigners wasting money or getting cheated.

One morning when I was there visitors were offering flowers and sweets to him. People would bring flowers to decorate the portraits for the Guru puja that took place every morning, and some people brought sweets that would be distributed as prasad at the end of it. That day, three foreign women were standing in front of him with flowers that had stems, which meant that they were hoping he would put them in the vases that were kept near him. He asked the first one how much she had paid, and when she told him he was shocked. He got angry with her, said that she had been cheated, and refused to accept the flowers. The second woman suffered the same fate. The third woman's flowers were accepted because she had done a little bargaining and had got the price down to a reasonable amount. Devotion didn't seem to be a factor when it came to getting your flowers accepted. The best way to get your flowers in his vase was to bargain ferociously for them and get a price that would satisfy him.

Now the subject of flowers has come up, I have to digress a little mention the bhajan and the Guru puja that took place between the meditation and the question-and-answer session. It was the only occasion when Maharaj would allow people to garland him. After he had been garlanded, he would stand in the middle of the room, banging cymbals to the tune of the bhajan that was being sung. Mostly, his eyes would be closed. At the beginning he would start off with small finger cymbals one or two inches in diameter. As the bhajan hotted up he would move on to bigger and bigger cymbals which would be passed on to him by an attendant. The biggest pair were almost the size of garbage can lids. They were huge and the noise they made was ear-splitting. You could hear them several streets away. When Maharaj moved on to this biggest set of cymbals, he would already be wearing so many garlands, they would be sticking out in front of him, sometimes to a distance of about two feet. It wasn't possible to bang the biggest cymbals without utterly destroying the garlands. Maharaj would bang away with his eyes closed, and every time the cymbals came together petals would fly off in all directions. By the time it was all over, the floor would be covered with fragments of the flowers he had shattered and sprayed all over the room. It was a beautiful sight and I never got tired of watching him smash his cymbals together and spray flowers in all directions.

Let's get back to his parsimonious habits. I stayed at the Poornima on a visit I made in 1979. I was spending two weeks with Maharaj before flying back to England to visit my family for the first time since I had come to India in 1976. My mother had sent me a ticket, feeling, possibly with some reason, that if she didn't pay for my trip, I might never come home again. I had accumulated orders for copies of I am That from friends in England. The British price was about ten times the price of the Bombay price, so all the Maharaj devotees I knew in England had put in orders for cheap copies. I appeared in Maharaj's room with this huge pile of books and asked him to sign them all for the people who were waiting for them in England.

He looked at me very suspiciously and said, 'I thought you had no money. How could you afford to buy all these books?'

I explained: 'They are not for me. They are for people in England who don't want to pay the British price. They have sent me money to bring them Indian copies.'

When I told him the retail price in London he was truly horrified.

'Take as many as you can! No one should pay that price for a book!'

He pulled out his pen and happily autographed all the books.

Harriet: Did you carry on going to see him until he passed away? Were you there in the final days?

David: No, and I didn't want to be. I didn't want sit there watching him slowly die. I wanted to keep my memory of a man who was a perpetual dynamo, an amazingly vital centre of force and energy. I knew that he didn't regard himself as the body, but I didn't want to be there, watching the cancer slowly reduce him to an invalid. I can't remember the date of my last visit, but I do remember that he was still talking without much trouble.

I haven't explained how Maharaj kept the traffic flowing through his room. You need to know about this to understand what comes after. Because of the restricted space available, Maharaj would generally only allow people to spend about two weeks with him. New people were coming every day and there simply wasn't enough room for everyone to sit on the floor.

When Maharaj saw that it was getting congested, he would pick out a few of the people who had been there the longest and ask them to leave, saying, 'You can leave now. New people have come and there is no room.'

The selected people would then have to leave, but if they were still interested, they could come back after another couple of months and put in another two weeks there. That was the system that many of us followed: two weeks there followed by two or more months somewhere else. Usually, when I arrived, I would tell him that I had a return ticket to Madras in two weeks' time. He trusted me to leave on the appointed day.

On my final visit, though, I have a memory that I was trying to stay few days longer than I had originally intended. I do remember that for a couple of days I would sit in a back corner, hoping he wouldn't notice me, because he knew that my time was up. One morning I couldn't get to my corner seat in time because something delayed me. I found myself sitting quite close to him, effectively blocking his view of some of the people who were immediately behind me. I should mention that I am 6'2” and that my back is disproportionately long for my size. I have short legs and a long back, which means that when I sit on the floor with a straight back the top of my head is the same distance from the floor as someone who is about 6'4”. Of course, on that particular morning Maharaj wanted to have a conversation with the person who was sitting immediately behind me, someone who was a lot shorter than I was. I tried unsuccessfully to squirm out of the way, and Maharaj tried to peer round me but it was no use because there wasn't any extra floor space for me to manoeuvre in. We were packed in like sardines in a can.

Eventually Maharaj looked at me and said, with some irritation, 'Why are you still sitting here taking up floor space? I can't see the people behind you. You are full of the knowledge. You are so full of the knowledge it is coming out of your ears and making a mess on my carpet. You can go now and make space for other people.'

That was the last time he spoke to me. I took his irascible remarks to be a blessing and a benediction, a sort of graduation certificate. I left that day and never went back.

Over the next few months I kept receiving reports about his failing health but I never felt tempted to go back one more time. That is, until he suddenly appeared in one of my dreams telling me to come and see him. It was such a forceful dream, it woke me up. I lay there in my bed, wondering if it really was him telling me to come, or whether it was just my subconscious manifesting a secret wish to go and see him one more time. I fell asleep without resolving the issue one way or the other.

A few minutes later he reappeared in my next dream, glaring at me: 'I just told you to come. Why didn't you believe me?'

I woke up and knew that he wanted me to come. Maybe he wanted one last chance to assault my stubborn ego. I didn't go and I can't give any satisfactory excuses for my refusal to respond to this dream. This was just before he passed away in 1981. I could give any number of reasons, but none of them rings true to me or satisfies me. When I study my memory of this event, I can't find any excuses that will pass muster in my conscience. I didn't go, and to this day I can't remember what stopped me.

Harriet: Did the dreams continue? Did he ask you to come again?

David: No, it was only on that one night. However, after he did die I started to have vivid and regular dreams in which I was visiting him in his room. I would go up the steps and find him there, sitting in his usual seat, and giving out teachings in his usual way. My dream logic would try to work out why he was still there, still teaching. In the dream one part of me knew that he had died, but another part was witnessing him still alive, still teaching in his usual corner. In these dreams I would sometimes come to the conclusion that he hadn't really died at all, that he had faked his death, waited until all the crowds had left, and then gone back to teaching with a small group of people who were somehow in on the game. My dream brain invented all kinds of stories such as these, but even in the dreams they never really convinced me. I knew something was wrong, but I couldn't quite figure out what it was.

These dreams went on all through the 1980s and well into the 1990s. The last dream in this sequence was different. I found Maharaj teaching a small group of people inside the main room of the Ramanasramam dispensary. This was unusual because I had never before dreamed of him anywhere outside his room. Also, the people were different. They were not the Indian faces who populated his room in the earlier dreams. They were all foreigners, all people I knew well. This time there was no doubt, no confusion about why or whether he was still alive.

I looked at Maharaj, turned to my friends who were sitting on the floor with him and said, with a great feeling of exaltation, 'See! I told you! He's alive! He didn't die at all! He's still alive!'

The dream ended and I have never dreamt of him again.

Harriet: What did you make of all this? What did it all mean for you?

David: I don't need Freud on this one. He didn't die because he was never born. He is alive as the Self within me. He can't die. He is inside, biding his time, waiting for the words he planted there to destroy me and my little, circumscribed world. I know that he hasn't given up on me, and I also know that one day he will prevail.

source

Ïðàêòèêà íåðàçäåëåííñîòè âèäÿùåãî è âèäèìîãî, îòñóòñòâèÿ ëîêàëüíîãî íàáëþäàòåëÿ

Awakening Exercises

These instructions involve 4 different things …the last instruction is … the most important one… I can’t stress that enough.

And they are obviously all to do with seeing that there is no self.

1. Visual Immersion

It’s all about using what you see in front of you.
It’s a purely visual process.
That’s why when some people crack it, they say stuff like
“I literally just looked, there was nothing more to it”.

So here’s what to do:

Try and keep your eyes more open, literally.

Look at any object in front of you and try and see that there is only that object, there is no agreement between a self/you and that object, there is no experiencer of that object, there is ONLY that object. Its just an experience of that object.

It doesn’t mean you have to stare at one thing all day, you could do it anytime of the day, as you walk down the street, as you look at people, as you look at TV, as you look physically at your computer (not the content of the screen).

Literally FOCUS your eyes and SEE there is only an experience of that object, no self.

Get swallowed up in the object.

It may an object you are quickly passing by as you walk down the street.
It may be the table as you are sitting eating your breakfast.

Explanation: The deeper this has gotten for me, the more I’ve realized there truly is no experiencer, no separate self. [Some] people make statements upon experiencing this like “oneness”, “unity”.

IMO this is dangerous here, because you can end up creating an “I am everything” escape route.[for the imaginary self to continue]

2. Action checking

Whether it is scratching your head, saying something to someone, walking down the street, thinking a thought, making a decision, reacting suddenly, laughing out loud, making a slice a toast, ALWAYS try and notice that it happened without a “you” deciding it.

This will be tricky, there is easy stuff like walking, scratching the head, but then there is harder stuff like deciding to go to work that morning.

What you do for the harder stuff is try and go back further and see where the thought of that decision came from. You will always either reach a dead end or a previous thought that triggered that one.

You will never find the self that created that thought.

Do this all the time, as much as you can, for both the easy and hard stuff.

3. Other “selves”

As much as you can, look at other people, try and observe as best you can how their movements are nearly automatic.

You may even feel you are pretending it or imagining it – if that’s how you feel, that’s fine, just keep at it – just constantly notice how other people behave in almost robotic fashion, as if there is no “decider” behind any of their actions.

4. PERSISTENCE

Doing all this once won’t work.
Doing this stuff 20 times may not work.
DO ALL THREE INSTRUCTIONS ALL THE TIME, DO NOT STOP!
Even if you feel you cracked it DO NOT STOP.
Even if you feel the whole thing is a joke DO NOT STOP.
Even if you feel that forgot to do it for the last 2 hours,
GET BACK TO IT.

Actually, you can even use that forgetfulness as further proof there is no self that can force you to do this.
Even if it [seems] completely confusing and paradoxical, i.e. the fact that you are trying to look , yet there can’t be a self to do the looking.

It’s not paradoxical…[the] human is reading these instructions, attempting it, thinking there is a self that is carrying out the instructions, until they finally crack it and realize it was all just a process that happened and was not controlled by anyone.

You have to smash this stuff from all angles as often as you can.

PERSISTENCE IS REALLY THE KEY.

If you start to feel unity, you haven’t cracked it.

It’s just a glimpse, you’re on the right track.

Just don’t do the “I am everything” thing.

There is no you, simple as that.

If you feel ridiculously frustrated, good, you’re on the right track.

If you feel a sinking “worry” feeling in the stomach, good you’re on the right track.

If you know in your heart and soul that you have completely cracked it,
that you truly finally see there is no you whatsoever,
and after 24 hours you still feel that way,
you probably cracked it…

KEEP GOING ! (just in case)

So who’s up for it?

http://vanishingnarrative.wordpress.com … exercises/

http://vanishingnarrative.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/breakthru.png?w=300&h=213

http://covers.powells.com/9781556436338.jpg

NISARGADATTA MAHARAJ - ULTIMATE MEDICINE

Master: That knowledge which experienced itself as Krishna, Buddha or Christhas subsided, it has become one with the Whole. So if you abuse Christ, if youabuse Mohammed, if you abuse any¬one, he does not come and ask you: "Whyare you abusing me?" because that knowledge, that experience, has mixed withthe totality. Similarly, now, you may be a very great person, you might be adictator of the world, but when you go to sleep you forget what you were—yourname, your body, your age, your sex, your nationality, everything. This sense of a separate identity is very limited arid not the truth; in fact, it is totally false. Soif that is the situation with Christ, what is the case with you?Or you may be a humble, virtuous person. Whenever you go to sleep, you forgetsin, virtue; you forget yourself. What is the basic fact? It is that you forgotyourself as an individual, which gives you deep rest.When you go to sleep, you might have had sex with a hundred women or ahundred men. At that time you were enjoying it. But when you sleep, when youtake rest, that sensory experience is not there. So then you don't have anidentity, no weight at that place. Don't say you are so and so, you are anindividual, you are a man or a woman. Just stay put; from there you can moveahead. That is the truth, that is the fact; from there you can go to reality. Andthen whatever is manifested, will arise and subside. It is like sun¬rise andsunset, waxing and waning. That desultory manifes¬tation you cannot be; itcannot be the real You.Whenever there is a sense of individuality, personality, or a separateness, youhave so many wants. You want to see a movie, you want to hear music, you wantto play, you want to have sex, you want to eat fancy foods, you want to consumeintoxicant, but when that sense of separateness is not there, when you are onewith the totality, these things are not desired. And spirituality or what you call"religion" is mainly to understand this: that you don't require any¬thing, you area part of the totality, or reality. When you grasp that, you don't have any of these needs. But so long as you are separate from things, you need everything. To exist as a separate individual constitutes the entire problem. And all thesethings, the various sense caterings, all reading, search for knowledge, forpleasure, everything is related to that. Once all that subsides, there is no moreproblem. Then the bliss you experience is true bliss. The foregoing, however, isnot a ban on activities. Do whatever you want, but never forget the reality, neverforget what you really are. You are not the body, you are not the food, you arenot this vital air (prana). Whatever has appeared is a state, and as such it has togo.

Most of you are not going to understand what is being said here, because youare taking yourself to be the body. Whatever knowledge I am conveying is notdirected to the body—with you as bodily entities, as different persons.So long as you are firmly convinced that you are the body, whatever I am tellingyou is not going to be of any use to you. Because whatever knowledge we take,we take it as body-mind, since it adds to our existing store of infor¬mation. Wethen feel we have become more knowledgeable. For example, tomorrow someastrologer or palmist may want to come and tell me: I would like to tell yourfuture. How can he tell my future, when I am not there at all? You would behappy when told, OK, you will be President of the United States. But with me thatis not the case.In various books, they have written about God. Has anyone said what God lookslike, what he is really like? Has he got a shape, certain qualities? A God withattributes is still time-bound. Once time comes to an end, even his knowledge of being God vanishes. Just like a beggar dressed as a king, he may feel as a kingso long as he wears king's clothes. Once he throws away the clothes, he knowshe is a beggar.When we talk about God, we are referring to attributes— loving, omnipresent,omniscient, and so on...yet all that is still time-bound. Once that experiencegoes, what is there left? Well, anything that has got attributes cannot be lasting. This is very clear to me. So what then can I ask for myself?Whatever behavior exists in this world, it is because of attributes, tendencies.For example, a person goes through four marriages and divorces in a month.Now that behavior stems from tendencies, qualities. But that which witnessesthis behavior is beyond attributes. When that witness itself, which is "I am,"subsides, what remains? With the witness gone, all other things havedisappeared, too. By the same token, upon the arising of the "I am," the whole of manifes¬tation takes place; these two are not separate, they are one. "I am" isthe witness; the entire manifest world is there because of this. That which is doing all this are the tendencies or attrib¬utes, or may a. Just likethe sun and its rays: if the sun is not there, the rays are absent. Similarly, if thewitness is not there, the manifestation or maya is not present. When "I am"arises, everything appears; when "I am" subsides, everything subsides. Now thisis what I am trying to tell you, but you want something else. You want somethingabout your future, something which is part of manifesta¬tion, but I am trying tohit at it. You have been seeing me right from 5:30 in the morning—working, talking anddoing all that. But nowhere am I aware of myself as a jnatti, as somethingdifferent. On the other hand, I have not forgotten the child of many years ago.Now eighty-two years back, I had the childish knowledge, the incompleteknowledge, which was born from the ignorance that I was born. Until the age of three, I did not know anything. After that age, I was struck by my mother withwhat is a word, you know, concepts, and out of those concepts every¬thing else came. Now this maya is that which started eighty-two years ago; it is singing.Maya comes up, sub¬sides again; it goes in cycles, waxing and waning. Nowafter some time, this childish knowledge, incomplete knowledge, whose base isignorance...that experience which started eighty-two years ago—let us not call itan identity—will also pass away, wither away. This "I am" is an announcement; it is not the real. It has come out of somethingelse. What the real is, I am not telling you, because words negate that. WhateverI am telling you, is not the truth, because it has come out of that "I am." The factis, I cannot describe reality to you, I cannot explain it, because it is beyondexpression. So from that, everything flows; but every time I say something, I amaware that it is to be negated, "not this, not this" (neti- neti)...that is myexperience. And further, I have not seen God, have not seen anything else. Butabout my own expe¬rience, I am very sure, and that is what I am telling youabout; I am not quoting anyone.Because that food-body is there, and that slice of bread, the "I-am-ness"appears. Since this is dependent on the body, it is ignorance; therefore, this "I-am-ness" knowledge cannot remain permanently, it is a function of this food-body. So long as the food-body is present, this "I-am-ness" will remain. Thereafter, it will go.

As was said before, the same child knowledge, that "I-am- ness," still persists. The "I-am-ness" view appeared in the child body, as it is here today. But becauseof may a, continu¬ous changes take place; the situation has changed but "I-am-ness" still continues. For how long? For so long as the food-body is viable. Whenthe food-body is dropped by the vital breath, the "I-am-ness" will set. So "I-am-ness" is not permanent either; the consciousness is not permanent.Our prime minister has some firm ideas about himself and whatever concepts heentertains. He does not want to change them—ideas of God, etc. We humanbeings have so many pet notions, preconceived ideas. Whenever we listen tosomebody whose idea tallies with ours, we agree. Otherwise, we reject. Similarly,those jnattis who state they are established in the Absolute are actually inbeingness. They are known as sages. They like certain ideas, certain concepts,and they want to propagate those. But they propagate only "idea," and an idea isnot the truth. Truth is the state beyond concepts. You take the seed of the banyan tree. It is very small, smaller than the mustardseed. The seed is very subtle, but all the gross matter is already inside it. Do yousee the paradox? Similarly, your essential being is the subtlest, yet it containsthe whole universe. Another point is, what do you mean by seed? Bija means"second creation" and thus signifies that the past is being repeated. It was atree; the tree got concentrated in the seed; and the seed re-creates the pasthistory it contains.VISITOR: The "I am" is in the seed. At this point, when one is aware of the "I am,"the seed, to become the Absolute...

M: You are itself the seed, you are "I-am-ness." You don't grossify it even bywords. The inner core, the self, what is inside? All this is inside that seed!V: Maharaj also said that the inner core is light.M: No, light here is meant only symbolically. It is not light like this.. .Self-luminous.Everything is truth, the Absolute. This Brahman is creat¬ed out of yourbeingness. All this Brahman is illusion, born out of ignorance, for your beingness,from the Absolute standpoint, is ignorance only. Again, out of ignorance, thisbeingness develops everything, the entire manifestation. On the Absolute,beingness appears and out of that comes illu¬sion, and the illusion occupies thetruth.V: So what is our way of reversing this process?M: Recede, recede. The lion wherever he goes, looks back. Like that, look back,go to the source, the seed.When you pursue the spiritual path, the path of self- knowing, all your desires, allyour attachments, will just drop away, provided you investigate and hold on tothat with which you are trying to understand the self. Then what happens? Your"I-am-ness" is the state "to be." You are "to be" and attached to that state. Youlove to be. Now, as I said, in this inquiry your desires drop off. And what is theprimary desire? To be. When you stay put in that beingness for some time, thatdesire also will drop off. This is very important. When this is dropped off, you arein the Absolute—a most essential state.V: That is the exact feeling that came over us today. There is a certain sadnessin realizing that and yet a greater understanding of the Absolute.M: Sadness, because that "I-am-ness" was sad. [laughter]V: You know that there is Being, and you are going towards non-Being. And thereare all the things of Being and you know that they are really nothing. But it wasfun; it was a great illusion while it lasted.M: Your true state, stay put in that. It is ever there, in its pure state, undisturbed.Only that consciousness, "I-am- ness," is consciously receding from the Absolute. That "you"...you are present only; there is not the slightest movement from you.It is winding up the show.V: Would you say that a little more clearly?M: Yes. When you are in consciousness, you understand the nature of consciousness and you recede. Your progress continues. This consciousness isslowly extinguishing itself; knowingly it is disappearing. But nothing affects You,because that is the Absolute. Just like when the flame is gone, the smoke is gone, the sky remains.

V: Beautifully said!M: That is the Brahman of death, the moment of death. Watching occurs, thevital breath is leaving the body, "I-am- ness" is receding, vanishing. That is thegreatest moment, the moment of immortality. The body, the flame, that "I-am-ness," is there; its movements are there, and Iobserve. And it is extin¬guished. The vital breath deserts the body, that flame isnot there. You observe that. That observation occurs to you. The ignorant one atthe moment of death is in great fright; he is struggling. But not the jnani; for himit is the happi¬est moment, the most blissful one.But the fact is that you are going all over the place...to saints and ashrams andall that, collecting knowledge in your capacity of being an "individual." Don't dothat. Go beyond. This amassing of knowledge is not going to help you, because itis in a dream. This dream will repeat itself, as a human body, as so many otherbodies, as an animal or as a god, anything. That is not the point. Tiy tounderstand what is being said here. That only is the solution and will lead yousomewhere.What is the relationship between me and you? I don't care whether or not youcome here and listen. If you find it, you take it; if you don't want it, go away. Thespace in this room is neither against nor for, nor in love with, the space in thatother room. It is one. Similarly, I am not bothered. The knowledge I am giving out is like a stream, like a flowing river. If you want toutilize it, take the water, drink it, assimilate it. Let it flow by itself. I am notcharging you anything. You are spending a lot of money every day. Come on,you keep the money and take my water.Similarly, while talking about it I take you to the source of the spring. There,water is coming out in a trickle now. This trickle subsequently becomes a river,an estuary, and finally the sea. I take you to the source again and again.Once you arrive at the source, you come to know that actually there is no water. The water is purely the taste, the news that "I am." This body-mind is created out of mischief. So whenever I say, don't ask from thebody-mind consciousness and you comply with that, it means you are out of mischief; you will not ask any more mischievous questions.After listening to these words and understanding their meaning, stay convincedthat you are That, you are the totality. Then, out of that, tremendous blessingswill come your way. You become a mahayu(k); that is, you merge into your¬self, union with yourself. There is only one principle; the principle is that "you are." Because you are,everything is. Hold it firmly to yourself.What is your aim? Do you really want what I am talking about? You have heardwhat has been said. Now live accordingly, and remain with it.   ........................

one habit you are normally given to and substitute another habit. Now what isthis substitute habit? It is to think constantly that you are not the body.For example, if you engage yourself in a quarrel with somebody, observe andunderstand clearly that there is a quarrel started by your mind, but you are onlyits witness. If you don't participate, whether there is a quarrel or not is no longera concern. All the worldly activities happen through the mind. If you think "I amthe body-mind," then you are doomed.When you are absolutely one with Brahman, you don't resort to mind. So there isno sound or you cannot talk. You stay put or keep quiet. To talk, you have totake advantage of this instrument, the mind. So you need to get a little detachedfrom Brahman; then only the talk can come out. January 1, 19792.WHATEVER HAS SPRUNG FROM THE FIVE ELEMENTS IS SHEER IGNORANCEMASTER:;; The knowledge "I am" is the same in all sentient creatures, whether itbe an insect, a worm or a human being, or even an avatar, the highest kind of being. I do not consider this basic consciousness in one form as being different inany way from the conscious¬ness in another form. But in order to manifest itself,con¬sciousness needs a base, a particular construct in which it can appear. Thatbase can be anything, it may be any form, but the manifestation can last only solong as that particular form endures. And until that consciousness appears, therecannot be knowledge of any kind. In sum, knowledge depends on consciousness,and consciousness needs a phys¬ical matrix or form.One must also consider the importance of the word. The thought arises from thevital breath and expresses itself in the word. Without words, there could not beany commu¬nication in the world; in fact, there could not have been anyactivity, any "busy-ness" (or business, for that matter), at all. The world goes onbecause of the word and the name. People could not have been identifiedwithout name. So the word and the name have great importance. The principle of naming every possible "thing" has been carried forward to theextent that even God had to be givena name. And that name, when repeated, has a certain signif-icance. At an earlystage of one's spiritual development, there is no method, no sadhana, moreimportant or effective than repeating the name of God.Now there exists no particular reason for the coming about of this consciousness.So there is no explanation for how this seed, this consciousness or knowledge "Iam," has arisen. But once it is in existence, it cannot stand still—that is,consciousness is tantamount to "movement." And all movement takes placethrough the gunas, which are inherent in the knowledge "I am." Thisconsciousness keeps on "humming"—[Maharaj uses the Marathi word gun-gun]—

and expresses itself through the three gunas. These gunas act according to theform which has come about, and that form has resulted from a particular food.Behavior and action result from the combinations and permutations of the threegunas.When people first come here, I always tell them that they come with the purposeof showing off their knowledge or trying to draw me into an argument. So I amaware of that, but I am even more strongly aware of the fact that such peoplehave not got the slightest idea what they are talking about. I call it pureignorance. It is for this reason that I say, don't ask any questions, don't evenstart dis¬cussing, until you have listened to the talk for a while and absorbed atleast some of its contents. Then you can begin asking questions.How do I know that you are completely ignorant? From my own experience. Anyinfant will take at least a year, a year and a quarter, or a year and a half, beforehe can even utter a word. That word may not have any meaning, but to do so,what has happened? Again I am using the word gun- gun, that which is going oninternally wanting to come out—thoughts, odd words, whatever it may be. And it does come out. Now, where didall that originate? Where is the presen¬ter of the speech? Speech is only foranimals, which includes humans. Now that is still part of the knowledge "I am,"which is within them. This gun-gun is within the knowledge "I am," whichincludes the physical form. The gun-gun entity and the knowledge "I am" and thephysical form—that whole bundle—has been created out of the five elements. Soup to this point, the whole thing can be said to be entirely mechanistic andtherefore pure ignorance.Now there are some people who say: I was so and so in a previous existence.How do they know? They could only have sprung from the five elements. Andbefore, the five ele¬ments were created, the previous knowledge could not havebeen there. Therefore, it is utter nonsense, rubbish. There are many Hatha-yogis who have great powers. Of those, I am the greatest.But I distinguish between Hatha- yoga and Hatha. Hatha means "insistence" or"persistence." You see, I persist. And what is this persistence about? I did notknow that I was going to be born. How did I get this birth? That is the point onwhich I persist in finding the answer. I must know this. When I was told "sattva,"then what is sattva? Sattva is the essence of the five elements. In that essence,in that juice, lies the knowledge "I am." But all that is still of the five elements. Then how did this come about? My guru told me the whole story. Thus, I came toknow that it is ignorance, and I know from experience that everybody is startingfrom there. Thus, whatever has come about is sheer ignorance. And we arenothing more, that is what my guru told me.My guru further pointed out to me the fact that the only thing you have andwhich you can utilize to unravel the mystery of life, is this knowledge "I am."Without that, there is absolutely nothing. So I got hold of it, as my guru advisedme, and then I wanted to find out how the spiritual aspect of "me" came about

without my knowledge. That again is the result of the five elements. Therefore, Irepeat, I know from personal experience that if anybody thinks he has or issomething special, it is sheer ignorance.Even if this body were to last for a thousand years, any experience with it thathas come about during that period is necessarily based on this "I-am-ness,"which is based on time, which is a product of the five elements for which I haveno use at all. On my pure Absoluteness, which has no place, and no shape orform, this knowledge "I am" came, which also has no shape or form. Therefore, itappears; and it is only an illusion.Intelligent people, extremely intelligent people, come here and ask mequestions. And I answer them. So what happens? They don't accept my replies.Why? Because they ask me from the point of view of identification with the body-mind. And I answer them from a point of view which is without suchidentification. So how can they understand me? How can the answers possiblytally with the questions?Who are asking the questions? It is the persons who see themselves as existingin time, with the birth of the physical body as their base point; therefore, theyask questions from that point of view. But that view is false; it is a figment of their imagination—purely a bundle of memories, habits and imagination. Theyconsider that as the truth; yet it is sheer ignorance, having no basis in reality atall. The day to which you are attaching so much importance met you when thebody was born, and from that day onward you have been considering yourself asthat body.What was there before the body came into being, only that may remain after thedisappearance of the body and the elements. And before that body is gone, onthat final day, even the memory of existence during the prior period willdisappear. So whatever happens between appearance and disappearance of thebody is only a bundle of memo¬ries; whatever you have accumulated is merelyentertain¬ment. All that is in memory and everything will disappear.Now if you had really accepted this through proper understanding, you would notcare whether this body remains or goes.When the highest principle, this beingness in the body disappears, how can youtalk? When that primary principle has gone, is there any value left? First thebeingness is to disappear. Then also, the body will disappear. But the beingnesswill never know that the body is disappearing, because the beingness itself willalready have left.When a child is born, after a year or two, he is able to talk. From where has thiscapacity developed? From the food essence of the body only, is it not? Internally,he devel¬oped this power of speech. The Maharishi has over eight thousand disciples, but does he speak of thisknowledge? They depend on this beingness as the truth; they take it as thereality And all deference is being directed toward that beingness; all spiri¬tual

activities are based on the feeling that this beingness is the truth. But is it notalso the product of the food essence? And, therefore, does it eventually notbecome decrepit with the food essence?Don't you understand your knowingness naturally, effortlessly? Once youunderstand spontaneously, you will realize that it is also a temporary phase: thisbeingness is going to disappear. And in understanding this, you will come to theconclusion that it is unreal. And the one who understands its unreality is theeternal.Now, continuing to explore in this vein, can you hold on to some identity that isexclusively yours, that will not dis¬appear? Without the help of some foodessence, can any¬body talk? And can anybody incarnate himself without thehelp of a body?[Maharaj has just received an invitation to go by car to a village to talk to thepeople there] Will anybody be able to understand this kind of talk, what I'mdriving at? The prob¬lem is, after such a talk, might the people not obtain myaddress and come to get me? No, the locals may not; they are not such type of people. But the foreigners may try to attack me, because I am criticizing Christ. Ihave indicated knowing the true position of Christ, because he talks about thesame thing.What was done to Christ might happen to me also, because Christ started tellingthe facts—the truth. And people got enraged and crucified him—they dared toshed his blood.Since my talk will be beyond the scope of their under¬standing, some of theaudience may become very upset and disturbed. They will say, it's no use, wemust finish him off. It is because of the command of my guru that I am doingthis, participating in all these talks. When I go to that vil¬lage, I will have todiscourse about God and purity; I must take the devotional approach. But if Igave the kind of talk that I am giving here, they would not be able to understandit. I should talk on their level of understanding—God, puri¬ty, and devotion.28 March 19803.     ....................

...........    THE ULTIMATE MEDICINEMASTER:;; ...the five pranas, panchapranas, become purified; concomitantly thesense organs become purified, and the mind also becomes pure. And when themind is pure, the language of the sages becomes intelligible. Without suchpurification, it is not possible to understand the sages. And, ultimately, thatpurification leads to Self-knowledge, to the Self.VISITOR: Does this purification arise as a consequence of applying oneself tomeditation on the sense of "I am"? And is that one's central responsibility?

sattvaguna, the knowledge "I am." This "I-am-ness" is expe¬rienced by you, theAbsolute, but you are not "I-am-ness." What have you to say on this?V: What could I say? I don't have any comment.M: What I am expounding here is not normally expounded anywhere.V: I know, that is why I am here.M: Having understood, realized and transcended all these three gunas, I knowfull well their play; that is why I talk like this. I have understood, I have realized, Ihave tran¬scended them. A number of sages, having done all the expounding,will only take you into sadhana, the disciplines that are to be followed. But this isa subject...prior to disci¬pline, subtler than any discipline, a most subtle one.V: And yet at the same time the activity that he enjoins us to undertake purifiesthe play of those gunas in the sense that they don't keep drawing our attentionback into the world. Because, unless there is some responsibility on our part,which Maharaj insists upon as much as anyone else, the play of the three gunaswill be just random and you will be like a ball kicked around by a bunch of dolphins.M: By following what was said it will be realized that what¬ever is happening ishappening only in the realm of these gunas. And in this process it is realized oneis not part of their play at all. Becoming more and more detached from allworldly activities, one transcends the gunas and knows one does not dwell intheir realm.When you are involved with the gunas, you want to haveso many things from the world; but when you thoroughly understand that youare not these gunas, then you want or expect nothing.V: Is sadhana necessary?M: Sadhana, the discipline, is only this: The knowledge which is dwelling in thisbody, the quintessence of these three gunas—the knowledge "I am," "I amthat"—this is the initial step. You must be one with it, you must abide in thatonly. You have to think "I am not the body but I am that formless, namelessknowledge indwelling in this body; that (is) 'I am'."When you abide sufficiently long in this state, whatever doubts you may have,that knowledge "I am" itself will sprout out with life and meaning for you,intended for you only, and everything will become clear. No externalknowl¬edge will be necessary.V: Is any technique required for the sadhana?M: Only conviction! If you are thinking of any initia¬tion... Only the words of theguru that you are not the body! That is the initiation. Stay put there, in thatstate.

It is spontaneous, natural, that shraddha (faith). What is that faith? "I am,"without the words, whatever you are, that itself is the faith. Now you have toelevate yourself to the state of Brahman, that "I am" itself is Brahman; this is thecondition you have to develop.V: For that, is it necessary to sit in seclusion for a certain period of time?M: Until you abide in that firm conviction, probably you will have to go intoseclusion. But once you abide and stay put firmly there, you know you are thatonly; then even if you are in a crowd you will not have a fall from that.As Prescribed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj • 25V: At the moment when you are realized, you are That; other times, you are onlycontemplating that you are That, you are trying to believe that you are That. Butthe moment the conviction comes, is that the realization?M: Yes, that is the moment to know.V: So when you are realized, what are the signs of realization?M: No symbols are available, because only you shall prevail at that moment.V: But will one see anything specific?M: You know, surprisingly, there may be so many things you see. You might seelights...All this illumination is due to what? To atma-jyoti, the light of the Self,Self-illumination.V: I have read in several books that simultaneously with the realization, there isan awakening of the kundalitti. Is this a fact?M: What you are saying about kundalini happens to him. I am not dealing withthat.V: Happens to whom?M: To the one who is expounding that idea. I don't deal with those concepts. Thatis Muktananda's sphere.V: And several other people say the same.M: My approach is different. I don't expound that.V: Is the result not the same? Whoever attained realization, we are merely toldabout it. But there is no actual proof. We 26 • The Ultimate Medicineare told by the realized yogis, that whenever they got realiza-tion, supernaturalpowers were acquired. Strange lights appeared to them; they went into adifferent sphere. Some¬thing terrific happens to them at the time of realization.M: You might also have visions of various gods. Anything might happen, but thatdoes not mean that you should dwell on those concepts.

V: Yes, but can those things happen?M: Yes, but in the process of trying to experience and observe all these things, itis easy to forget the way toward Self-realization. Those people are studying, as itwere, on the TV screen; that means they still want to be in an experi¬entialstate. They do not transcend that.V: What Maharaj is expounding, speaking the language of the Gita, is it jnana-marg?M: No, not the jnana "path." Abidance in knowledge is different. Jnana margmeans you are walking a path. Your destination is the knowledge "I am"—abidance in that knowledge.V: That is, according to the Gita, jnana.M: Marg means you are always trying to walk. I do not want to do any walking.When you talk about "path," you think the destination is far off and you have towalk there. The point is that you are right at the destination, so where is thenecessity of any path?V: Is it easily attainable?M: Spontaneously, it is the natural state, the destination. Unfor-As Prescribed by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj • 27tunately, you are connected with various types of concepts, and you are boggeddown in the quagmire of those concepts. As it is, "you are" is most spontaneousand natural.V: Again, I will put it in another way. In the Gita...M: I do not want you to seek support in anything external. There are only twoentities, you and me. Don't introduce a third person or a third support. Thedialogue is strictly between us.V: What difference is there between you, Maharaj, and Lord Krishna?M: I don't know what you mean by "difference," for that term does not occur inmy vocabulaiy.V: So if I quote Lord Krishna of the Gita, for my own satis¬faction, is it... if youdon't enlighten me, who else will?M: The knowledge "you are" is Lord Krishna.V: OK. So my knowledge... M: That is Krishna.     ..................

M: Continue to come here if you want to investigate what you are. Track downwhat that "you are" is. Investigate that medicine "you are." And don't expose alland sundry to what I have told you. Keep it to yourself!Interpreter: To many he will say: Don't ask anything. Just listen. By merelylistening, they understand; most of their doubts will be cleared. To that lady inthe morning he said, just listen, don't ask any questions. That can be veryeffec¬tive, too. In the flow of the talk, many doubts will be cleared. He is sure of that.V: Why is there such a divergence between different gurus, rishis, and realizedyogis? Perhaps they are not realized?M: No, this is to be explained as follows. Although con¬sciousness is universaland the knowledge "you are," and whatever knowledge there is, is all common,its expression through the body and the mind is individualistic; there everythingis different. Therefore, the path expounded by each sage will be different; it isbound to be so.V: All those several paths lead to the...M: They will lead to the same. Is it not that all paths lead to Delhi? The paths willbe different, but the destination is the same. So you can't compare the path orwhat I am expounding with somebody else's.V: In your method—may I call it method?—have you noticed any siddhis...M: No. But that is my own doing, because of the com¬mands of my guru. Myguru told me, although you are real¬ized, you will have to expound knowledgeonly. No siddhi powers for you. I was veiy eager...I thought, "I'll get certainpowers, do miracles, remove the sickness of people." At first, I was thinkingalong those lines, as an initiate. But my guru told me, "Nothing of the sort foryou. You have to expound knowledge only." There were to be no powers for me.And then he also told me, "You must repeat all these bhajans three or four timesa day. You have to do it." He said, for the sake of all the ignorant people we haveto do this.I do not want to take you by the traditional, convention¬al, tortuous ways. Thatis why my teachings are better liked by the foreigners, because none of thistraditional, conven¬tional thing is there.V: The worshipping, the rituals, nothing is there.M: That is the devotional path. But what I am giving you is atma-yoga. I am not"doing" bhakti yoga; that is, bhajans, etc.: It is happening, going on by itself!Bhakti-yoga means (a devotee) trying to link up with God. It is not only going onhere; it is going on everywhere right from the ants. This means that everybodyhas that bhakti, even an ant wants to live, which is the same as bhakti. But thatant does not know it. Only a human form...

V: My question is, even a jnani's bhajans are devoted to some God, say Krishna,which takes for granted saguna bhakti. [To the interpreter:] Are you convincedby the answer? Then in turn you can convince me.Interpreter: What has happened is this: as a jnani he would have remainedunknown to the world. That is what his guru thought. So he told him, whenMaharaj asked how he could repay this debt after he got realization, you cannotrepay this anyway. But if at all you want to repay, you must do bhajans fourtimes a day. Now the purpose of his guru's command was that when somebhajan goes on somewhere, people were alerted to the fact that this is a placewhere worship of God is taking place. So that is how people start¬ed cominghere. Initially, they were mainly Indian people who were not primarily interestedin knowing themselves, but who had faith in God. Those people came first, andsubsequently others started flowing in, like Maurice Fiyd- man. And thereafterthat book [referring to I Am That] was published. Ultimately, you came to knowof these teachings because of him. So the purpose of this bhajan was indirectlyto let people know about him; otherwise, he would have remained absolutelyunknown.V: It may be correct, but there must be some more to it.I: Because of this bhajan, people get elevated, don't they?Normally, we practice whatever he tells you right at the moment. He wanted toelaborate a little on this point. Present¬ly, when people are putting the samequestion again and again, he will not reply at all. He was trying to say, bhajan isgoing on right from the level of ants up to ours. Eventually, when you get trueknowledge, ultimate knowledge, then only will you come to understand thatbhakti and jnana yoga are one.V: And one can get that ultimate knowledge either way?I: Yes. The questioner is giving details about a recent visitor to Maharaj, a prominenthomeopathic physician from America, who has been asked to utilize his expertisein trying to alleviate Maharaj's illness.M: Since I am abiding in the state which is prior to the gunas, the disease hashad no effect on me during the past three months. I am not taking on any fear of that disease. I have voided these three gunas forever. And whatever ishap¬pening, is happening in the realm of these gunas only. The gunas are doingall this. I am the knower of the gunas andtheir realm, but I am not the gunas.Now this disease which is said to be here, on what is that disease? Certainly noton me. That disease has occurred on that to which the name "birth" has beenattached. Therefore, that which is born, is suffering from the disease, not me.

Then the next point is, what exactly is born? What is born are the three states:the waking state, the sleeping state and the knowledge "I am," thisconsciousness. The body and the vital breath would not be able to function if thisconsciousness were not present. So these are the three states which have beenborn. And these three states work through the three attributes (gunas). So thesethree states and the consequent three attributes, that bundle has been born andwhatever happens, happens to that bundle only. I am not concerned with any of that.I very clearly see that which has been born. And I also know that I am not thatwhich is born. And that is why I am totally fearless. I am entirely without anyreaction to a dis¬ease that would otherwise be traumatic.Knowing that I am not that which is considered to be born, yet there is a littleattachment to it. In what way? Attachment is to that with which I have beenassociated for a long time. There is that speck of attachment only because I havebeen attached to this body for eighty years. So I meet somebody from myhometown, whom I have known for a long time. He comes and goes away. I bidhim good¬bye. Now what happens? The fact that he is leaving or has left is notgoing to bother me. But when he leaves, there is that mere speck of attachmentbecause something or some¬body I have known for eighty years will be leaving.But that is all. There is not that firm attachment that usually occurs. This consciousness, which is really what is born, mistak¬enly attaches itself tothis body and thinks it is the body and works through the three gunas; that is theassociation. And it is that which is born. But I have nothing to do with this.In the Gita, Lord Krishna tells Arjuna that you are not killing somebody, nor isanybody getting killed. The whole thing is an illusion. The sweetness is the quality or nature of sugar; but that sweetness is there onlyso long as the sugar is present. Once the sugar has been consumed or thrownaway, there is no more sweetness. So this knowledge "I am," thiscon¬sciousness, this feeling or sense of Being, is the quintes¬sence of the body.And if that body essence is gone, this feeling, the sense of Being, will also havegone. This sense of Being cannot remain without the body, just as sweetnesscannot remain without the material, which is sugar.V: What remains then?M: What remains is the Original, which is unconditioned, without attributes, andwithout identity: that on which this temporary state of the consciousness and thethree states and the three gunas have come and gone. It is called Parabrahman,the Absolute. This is my basic teaching. Have you any questions on that?  ...............

that is why there is no fear of any¬thing. Even when everything was burning inthe hole, and there was total destruction, I was merely watching. Just being in astate of witnessing, I was untouched by anything. So being that, what couldaffect me?Secondly, whatever appears, really has no substance. It has only a temporaryexistence. And so long as the appear¬ance is there, pain is also present. Andwhen things disap¬pear, pain is again absent. So only when form is present andthe consciousness is there, you feel the pain or the misery. And when there is noform, there is no consciousness, and no feeling of any pain or anything.V: Are there times in Maharaj's awareness when the form that we see is not inhis field of awareness, so that he does not feel the pain of what is happeninghere?M: So long as the consciousness is there, the pain is felt. But consciousness isthe product of the food body, just as in the oil lamp when the oil is present thereis a flame. Similar¬ly, this body is like oil, and that flame is the knowledge "Iam." Whatever you see, prior to all that, the knowledge "I am" must be there.And that itself contains the whole thing, your entire world of experience. So thegreatest scene is that knowledge "I am" itself; that consciousness itself is thewhole film in which everything is contained. Therefore, the consciousness is there, the pain is felt, but I deny that as my realidentity. How I got that real iden¬tity is through the guru, the guru's words, fullfaith in his words, and meditating on the consciousness, that knowl¬edge;thereafter, I came to know that the usual saying that one is born in the world, iswrong. The fact is that my exis¬tence is forever. Ever there. I am not one of theworld, but the world is in my consciousness. It was supposed that the body hasappeared, has formed in this world. But when the truth came out, it was foundthat in a certain atom the entire Universe is contained. And what is that atom? Itis the beingness, the knowledge "I am." That contains the whole Universe.Because of your existence, because you know that you are, you know also thatthe world is. So this consciousness, because of which you experience the world,is not unimpor¬tant; in fact, it is very important. So why not stabilize there?Meditate on that consciousness itself, and find out how this "I-am-ness" hasappeared. What was its cause? And from what did this consciousness develop? Try to find out, go right to the source! July 4/5, 19804.ONCE YOU KNOW You EXIST, YOU WANT TO REMAIN ETERNALLYMASTER:;; There are many persons who have a great attachment to their ownindividuality. They want first and foremost to remain as an individual and thensearch, for they are not prepared to lose that indi¬viduality. While retaining theiridentity, they want to find out what is the truth. But in this process, you must get

rid of the identity itself. If you really find out what you are, you will see that youare not an individual, you are not a person, you are not a body. And people whocling to their body identity are not fit for this knowledge. The names and forms that appear, with different colors and all that, their originis water. But nobody says I'm water, but they say I am the body. But if you seethe origin of the body, then ultimately the body has appeared only from water.All these plants and everything, all names and forms, they appear from wateronly. But still people don't identify themselves with water; they say I am thebody. The existence of heaven or hell, or whatever it is, is on this earth only. Allnames appertain to forms, and all forms appear from the earth and merge againinto that. So they are con¬cepts, the existence of heaven and hell. Discoveriesare made by the scientists; they receive help from their own consciousness, thatknowledge "I am" itself. But what it is, they don't know. They cannot get holddirectly of whatever they discover. Various books have been written, butulti¬mately Krishna, not a person, but consciousness in a form, has writtenabout itself, what it is. And that I find most appropriate of all the existingscriptures.VISITOR: YOU mean the Bhagavad Gita?M: Yes, but I do not say Krishna is a person. It is con¬sciousness in a particularform that authored the Bhagavad Gita. The same consciousness is in you. And itis also this consciousness that was there when you were a child, the same as ispresent now also. As time passes, the conscious¬ness remains what it is. I call itbal-krishna, the child-con¬sciousness. You give attention to that; catch hold of itand then you will know. That "I"-consciousness is the same in a child as in anolder person. If you consider the childhood of present-day great people, greatscholars, scientists, politi¬cians, what were they on the first day of their birth? Atthat stage, the consciousness is present, but the "I"-conscious- ness, thatidentification "I am," is not there; only bal- krishna, child ignorance is there. Thechild does not know that he exists. When he grows up, then only he comes toknow that he is; he recognizes the mother, and thereafter he starts to gather so-called knowledge and becomes a great scholar, a great man. But nobody knowswhat that child- ignorance is. A jnani knows; that is why he becomes free. He hasno pride about Self-knowledge. The jnani knows the origin of that consciousness. This atomic consciousness contains the whole Universe, but yet he knows that heis not that consciousness. So in that case, what pride can he have? He is theAbsolute state, in which the "I-am" consciousness is absent. If you meet any jnanis, you will find it easy to recognize them, for they will not have any pride intheir Self-knowledge since they have transcended that knowledge also. They say"I am not this knowledge or this consciousness." The consciousness in the body leaves when death occurs. And what about thatgrowth of worms created in the body? There is life in that, too. But the mainconscious¬ness has left. When the vital force leaves, the body falls.

For forty-two years I have been talking about this sub¬ject. When I met my guru,he told me to set aside all these various gods. He told me that myconsciousness, because of which I experience the world, is prior to everything. That means I should reflect on this consciousness only, go to its source and findout what it is. The fact that I am experienc¬ing that I am and the world is, isproof that when the disso¬lution of the universes took place, I was unaffected. If I were to have died at that moment, I would not be experi¬encing this existencenow.So many great people have said something like Krishna, but when somebodyspeaks out, he should first know that he is; subsequently something occurs andhe speaks. But prior to saying anything, that "I"-consciousness must be present. There was a time, in the Absolute state, when there was no beingness; and thenbeingness appeared and you said something. So whether it is true or false, priorto the appearance of beingness, you did not know that you were; so whateveryou said after the beingness appeared, whether true or false, is also the same. The source of this beingness, of the knowledge "I am" that you have, is in theblade of grass and the grain of rice. Those people who expound knowledge believe that the world is first and theywere born in it afterwards. So long as this conviction is there, they cannotexpound knowledge; they don't know better. When the "I"-consciousness isthere, then only the words come out. Prior to the appear¬ance of thatconsciousness, are there any words? No, you were unknowing of your ownexistence. Now the first thing you come to know is that you are. And then yousay some¬thing that occurs to you, don't you? So whatever you say, whether itis the truth or not, what is the basis for it?When the beingness is not there, there are no words. Once the beingnessappears, whatever occurs is taught to the "disciples" and is promulgated as"religion." But they are only concepts. That you exist, how do you come to knowit first? Because of what? Now at this moment you come to know that you are.How do you know?V: I don't know. It is just that this sense is with me, that is all. I can't trace itssource.M: When you know the source of this beingness or "I"-con- sciousness—that isliberation. Then you become free. Not until then.V: All I know at this stage, from following the practice Maharaj recommends, isthat the more I dwell in that the happier I am and the less concerned I am withmy status in the world.M: Whatever you are saying is just a saying in this world. Prior to the appearanceof beingness, if you had known about your existence, eternal and absolute,knowingly would you have entered this form, this body? Now what has happenedis that you did not know you were there, initially. Only when you became a twoor three-year old child you started knowing that you exist. So whatever had

happened until then, nine months in the womb and one or two years afterwards,is pure ignorance. Unknowingly, all this has happened. So the question is, priorto entering the womb, knowingly would you have done it?V: Well, it depends upon what sort of advertisement I saw about the world. Knowing what I do now, I don't think that I would have wanted to.M: Upon a person's death, the first stage is that he does not know that he is,beingness has left. The conscious¬ness, the "I-am-ness," is not there. Then thedoctor comes and confirms it, and the body goes for cremation. And because of that which caused the "I-am" knowledge to be present, the body material isthere but that "I-am" knowledge is now absent. That "I"-consciousness is notthere in the body, so whether you bury or cremate it, cut it into pieces, whateveryou do, does it matter? There is nobody to protest.I am giving you some homework now. Whatever you have heard, when you gohome, ponder on this subject and write down some points. If you have anyquestions, you may ask them the next day.Interpreter: Many of the disciples write to Maharaj and say "I am separated fromyou, being in the West and you are here; I don't have money to come, but I don'tfeel you are not here. You are here, you and me are one." That sort of letters heis getting. They are also experiencing the one¬ness, the non-dual state.V: They don't go beyond that.M: But they cannot transcend, they cannot go beyond that. But still they feelthey should come here, although there is oneness. I tell them when they comehere, your conscious¬ness is mySelf. So long as you have the conviction thatyou are a man or a woman, then you miss me. But if you take yourself as theconsciousness, then I am always with you— that I call "marriage." You want toget married with me? Then have these convictions.Now I am going again to the source. Janmarlana means "birth-marriage." Whoare the two parties that are getting married at the source? Janmarlana, the birth-marriage or the union of two entities: one is called the mother, but it is fluidpower. And the other is called the father, who is also fluid power when theyunite. That is birth. This is my spirituality, my study of spirituality; this is what I have been doing allthese years. And I have come to the stage to know that I am that principle whichwas unaf¬fected by the dissolution of the universes. Those are my convictions. Iam telling you from my experience that I did not undergo any pain when thewhole Universe was on fire, was being destroyed. I was unaffected. Is it true orfalse?V: Of Maharaj's experience?M: Yes.V: I believe it, that it is true.   ...........................

V: No.M: Ultimately, that sweetness comes, does it not? Where does it come from?V: From the biochemical changes that occur when the fruit ripens.M: When you will understand what this childhood is, then that is liberation.Paradoxically, you will realize that you are already liberated. You must try tounderstand your "F'-con¬sciousness or beingness. With that you can obtain a lotof objective knowledge and try to control the world. And if you don't understandthis consciousness itself, then you are in bondage. You may do anything in theworld, but ultimately you are in shackles. The consciousness, the child-conscious¬ness, has to know the consciousness. It has to know itself. That is theonly way. If you live for a thousand years, whatev¬er identity you will have fromtime to time, nothing will remain the same. You will not have any permanentidentity for yourself even with such a long life span.Everything is contained within the knowledge that you are a child, and all thatwill finally go. So your whole identity will disappear, including even that childidentity, eventually. This childhood, and this child-consciousness, is it true? One who has recognizedthe fact that it is false, what will you say about that man? The one who has understood this, becomes in terms of the Vedas, nirguna,nirvana. Nirvana means no sample. Nir- guna means beyond consciousness. Sothe activities of that, nirguna or nirvana, are like this city of Bombay. What areits activities? One who has understood this truth and has tran¬scended it, hisactivities are like the city of Bombay.V: I think the activities are much greater from the city of Bombay and certainlyspread much further.M: What I mean by the city of Bombay is without this land, without the earthportion. Because you cannot say exactly what this Bombay city is.V: I think there are much better metaphors for it. M: Small and big you cancompare, when there is some¬thing as a standard. But if what is to bedesignated as big or small is the only existing entity, how can you compare? If you cannot show something as smaller, then you cannot present something aslarge; the whole thing is relative.V: But we do that all the time.M: For your worldly activities, in the objective world, yes, you use those terms,like in a dream. So all those activities are like those in the dream, the behavior inthe dream state. Like that, all the activities happen.V: For some of us, life creates incredibly complicated and superficially appealingdreams. The great challenge is to accept these as dreams and see through the

bondage they represent to us—their implications for name and fame and ourinability to let go of all that.M: Now this consciousness...as it began with your con¬sciousness as a child,when that 'T'-consciousness first appeared...because of its appearance, you cansay that somebody is very great. But suppose that this conscious¬ness had notappeared at all, could you then have detected the greatness of somebody?V: I would not have known, I would be non-conscious.M: So it means that in the absence of that child-conscious- ness, you cannotdetect greatness, does it not?V: The funny thing about our first impressions of self- awareness as a child is thepainful memories that usually bring you to that rather than all the happy playfultimes, when there was just no need and you were not thrown back on yourself.M: So remembering childhood means painful experiences, according to you?V: Well, that is the first time that self-awareness arises, when you are hurt,rejected, beaten up by your friends, when your mother spanks you, when yourmother or father neglects your need for love.M: Childhood itself is painful. Without that childhood, there is no experience of pain, is there? Very straight, very simple to understand. One who has notexperienced childhood, will he have any experience of pain? It all starts withthat.V: I don't think adulthood is very much better, on its own terms.M: We are talking about the beginning of everything. It all began with childhood.Now that childhood is also a concept, an idea. So if you understand that, youtran¬scend at once all concepts. That is why it is imperative to understandchildhood.What is the function of childhood? Its function is for you to know that you exist. That is all it has done. Prior to that, you had no experience of the "I"-consciousness. My statement, and that of my guru, is that childhood is a cheat, itis false. The knowledge "I am" itself is a cheat. When the beingness appears, thatlove for existence is the result of the primary illusion, that maya. Once you cometo know that you exist, you feel like enduring eternally. You always want to be, toexist, to survive. And so the struggle begins. All because of that maya.I: The doctor has told him not to talk.V: How could any doctor tell Maharaj not to talk? That is the very reason for hisbeing with us.I: He says, the doctor who examined him and found out what is wrong with him,has advised him not to talk.

V: That is standard advice. Here you have the supreme doc¬tor of life and death,and his medicine comes through his words. July 5/6, 19805. THE GREATEST MIRACLE IS THE NEWS "I AM"MASTER:;; Whatever appears has really no exis¬tence. And whatever has notappeared also drops away; what remains is That, the Absolute. "That" is likeBombay.VISITOR: Bombay certainly seems to be appearing at the moment. We should sellhim another city.M: But I normally ask you this kind of question, whether Bombay sleeps, whetherit wakes up in the morning, whether it is worried, whether is has pain andpleasure. I do not refer to the people of Bombay, nor to the land, but to thatwhich remains.Now you know that you are. Prior to this moment, did you have this knowledgethat you exist? This consciousness, being- ness, which you are experiencing now,was it there earlier?V: It has been, on and off.M: This confidence that you are, the knowledge of your existence, was it thereearlier?V: When I do what Maharaj tells me, it is very clear. It is still in an infantile stage,but my sense of "me" is completely undone, and there arises great happiness,peace and clarity; but it comes and goes, and I forget.M: Its inherent nature is time-bound. It has appeared as childhood and it is therenow; but it wasn't there some years back. So you cannot possibly say that it isthe Eternal. So don't believe that it is true. And so long as you are hav¬ing this"I"-consciousness, you will be trying to acquire things; so long as you know thatyou are, the things that you possess have an emotional significance to you. Nowthere is the fact that your "I"-consciousness itself is time- bound. So when thisdissolves, what is the value of all those things which you possessed?V: Nil.M: As long as you have not understood this child-con¬sciousness, you'll getinvolved in the world and its activities. Therefore, the real liberation is only whenyou understand that child-consciousness. Do you agree?    V: I do agree.    .................

Âû çäåñü » Ê âîïðîñàì î ñàìîðåàëèçàöèè » Òåêñòû è âèäåî íà àíãëèéñêîì ÿçûêå » English texts. (òî, ÷åãî íåò â ïåðåâîäå íà ðóññêèé)